Squaw planning welcome home event for Tahoe Olympians
March 3, 2014
OLYMPIC VALLEY, Calif. — Squaw Valley plans to host a region-wide “Welcome Home Celebration” on Friday, March 21, in honor of the 15 athletes with ties to the Truckee/Tahoe region who competed in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
“From South Lake Tahoe to Reno, and from Sacramento to Squaw Valley, we’re assembling to welcome home as many athletes from our area as possible…” wrote Squaw Valley CEO Andy Wirth in a letter this week to the community.
Several other athletes will be on hand as well, considering Squaw is hosting the 2014 U.S. Alpine Championships that weekend.
“The evening will feature an athlete parade, a very special video presentation, fireworks, an athlete meet and autograph session, live music and much more,” Wirth wrote.
Look for more details in the Sierra Sun as the event nears.
Trending In: Sports
- VIDEO: Tahoe native, U.S. Ski Team’s Lila Lapanja returning to form
- Tahoe skiing: Downhill resorts offer up new features for the 2016-17 season
- IVGID Tip: Up your game for Lake Tahoe’s ski slopes
- Tahoe athletes: Josh Daiek thunders into the professional freeskiing scene
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Details unclear after apparent crime at Truckee Bank of America
- ‘Ninja road stars’ piercing tires in South Lake Tahoe (photos)
- E. coli, coliform bacteria found in Squaw Valley drinking water at upper mountain
- Truckee Police Logs: Man walks into store, nabs jacket, sunglasses
- Truckee CHP: Man stowed 64 pounds of pot in car’s fuel cell