Squaw planning welcome home event for Tahoe Olympians
March 3, 2014
OLYMPIC VALLEY, Calif. — Squaw Valley plans to host a region-wide "Welcome Home Celebration" on Friday, March 21, in honor of the 15 athletes with ties to the Truckee/Tahoe region who competed in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
"From South Lake Tahoe to Reno, and from Sacramento to Squaw Valley, we're assembling to welcome home as many athletes from our area as possible…" wrote Squaw Valley CEO Andy Wirth in a letter this week to the community.
Several other athletes will be on hand as well, considering Squaw is hosting the 2014 U.S. Alpine Championships that weekend.
"The evening will feature an athlete parade, a very special video presentation, fireworks, an athlete meet and autograph session, live music and much more," Wirth wrote.
Look for more details in the Sierra Sun as the event nears.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee High baseball team goes 2-2 to start season
- Explore Tahoe: Reach new heights with a North Shore snowmobile tour
- North Tahoe varsity boys golf win first league tourney
- Squaw Valley World Cup: 20,000 fans joined hundreds of volunteers in celebration
- Travis Ganong, others marvel at Squaw Valley during World Cup weekend
- What’s the story behind Truckee’s West River Street cottages?
- Lake Tahoe weather: 10-20 inches of snow forecast by Wednesday up top
- After 15 years of missed reviews, Truckee assessing Martis Valley Quarry
- Truckee ski-snowboard company launches Kickstarter campaign to expand
- $180,000 raised at Truckee-Tahoe humane society event at The Ritz