Tahoe Basin Ski League | Earley, Laker boys win GS at Mammoth
December 19, 2013
Lucas Earley and the North Tahoe boys claimed top honors in the season-opening Tahoe Basin Ski League race, a giant slalom, at Mammoth Mountain this past Friday.
Led by Lucas' individual win, the North Tahoe boys finished first among the five schools (Incline did not participate), while the Lakers placed second behind South Tahoe in the overall (boys and girls combined). North Tahoe's girls tied for third.
Truckee also fared well, finishing third in the overall, led by the girls' second-place finish behind South Tahoe. The Truckee boys placed third.
Lucas raced to the varsity boys victory with a two-run combined time of 57.93 seconds. Connor McKeen of South Tahoe was second with a time of 58.32 and Brett Hurt of North Tahoe rounded out the top three in 59.63.
They were followed by South Tahoe's Chad Kaassamani (60.85) and North Tahoe's Harry Goss (60.9), while Wes Harrington (61.41) led Truckee in sixth.
Stein Arnston (62.36) and Rudi Arnston (62.9) rounded out the Lakers' top five scores with seventh- and ninth-place finishes, respectively. Additionally, the Lakers' Drew Austin was 11th (63.68) and Ryan Conner (63.74) was 12th.
Truckee's Mitchell Osborne finished 10th in 63.42 and was followed by teammates Gordon Critz (15th, 65.33), Colin Gerrard (16th, 66.07) and Isaac Osborne (20th, 67.94).
With all five of their scoring racers finishing in the top 10, the Laker boys took the win with a high score of 212 points to the South Tahoe boys' 197 and Truckee's 181. They were followed by Douglas (148) and Whittell (124).
In the girls race, South Tahoe's Maia Bickert captured the individual victory in a time of 60.49. Truckee's Cheyenne Brown finished runner-up in 62.85 and North Tahoe's Emma Sproehnle was third in 63.25.
They were trailed by Whittell's Michael Gardner (63.49) in fourth, South Tahoe's Katie Sears (63.74) in fifth and Truckee's Hailey Perkins (63.89) in sixth.
After Brown and Perkins, Truckee's Maia Dvorecek finished 11th in 67.19, Nadine Leitner (67.72) was 12th and Maya Willis (67.84) 13th to round out the Wolverines' top five scores.
For the Lakers, Johanna Gur (66.23) placed ninth, Audrey Johnson (68.65) 16th and Mara White (70.17) 17th.
South Tahoe's girls won with a team score of 204 points. Truckee's girls were second with 193, while North Tahoe and Whittell tied for third with 181 apiece.
South Tahoe also took the overall with a combined score of 401 points between its girls and boys. North Tahoe's 393 points were good enough for second, while Truckee's 374 earned the Wolverines third. Whittell (305) was fourth and Douglas (276) fifth.
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Truckee Raptors youth basketball team crowned champs
- Prep Nordic racing: Season concludes with CNISSF state championships
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Sierra Snapshots: Ice and nice on Tahoe, Donner Lake (photo slideshow)