Tahoe teen fares well in national rock climbing competition
August 14, 2014
After-school climbing clubs
High Altitude Fitness’s after-school Kids Climbing Club is set to begin Monday, Sept. 8, with levels for all ages. Junior Club (ages 5-7) meets once a week, Intermediate Club (8-12) meets twice a week and Advanced Club (9-16) meets three times a week. Team Flash, the competition team, meets four days a week and will hold a tryout with pizza and a brief overview on Sunday, Sept. 7, from 5-7:30 p.m. For more information call 775-831-4212 or email email@example.com.
Teenage rock climbing extraordinaire Stefan Fellner represented Lake Tahoe well at the Sport Climbing Series National Championship in Atlanta on July 13.
Climbing for High Altitude Fitness in Incline Village, Fellner earned an 11th-place finish in his Youth Male C category.
Fellner received a berth into the nationals event as the second-place finisher among 25 competitors from the Northwest Division, which is made up of three regions — Big Sky Region (Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming), Northern California Region (Northern California, Northern Nevada) and Pacific Northwest Region (Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington).
During the season Fellner finished in the top-five of his category nine times, including two first-place finishes and three seconds. Three times he has placed well enough in regional competitions to move on to divisional competitions.
He also holds his own in the classroom, as Fellner has received the "Distinguished Scholar" award six times in a row.
"I am so motivated by my coach, Dustin Sabo," Fellner said before Nationals. "He is an incredible teacher. He not only teaches me about climbing, he also educates me on how not to get hurt and eating well so I can stay healthy. I also have had great climbing mentors in my life — Kyle O'Meara, Flannery Shay-Nemirow, Eric Wolff, Keck Angle, Kyra Fritz, my climbing team, Team Flash, High Altitude Fitness owner Jason Burd, as well as my best climbing and life mentor, my dad."
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe skier Lila Lapanja on World Cup: ‘Smiling is my antidote to negativity’
- Tahoe skiing: Final Junior Freeride tour hits Mt. Rose this weekend
- Explore Tahoe: Area fishing charters provide fun, successful excursions
- Boarding for Breast Cancer event at Sugar Bowl raises over $8,000
- SNC Tahoe skiers, snowboarders rack up national titles
- What’s the story behind Truckee’s West River Street cottages?
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot of snow possible at high elevations Friday
- North Tahoe crime logs: Screwdriver-wielding man threatens retail shop staff
- Lake Tahoe weather: 10-20 inches of snow forecast by Wednesday up top
- Truckee Police Logs: 2 arrests in 2 days for meth possession