Tahoe-Truckee swimmers perform well at Washington Open
March 1, 2017
On Jan. 12, the Truckee Tahoe Swim Team sent 19 swimmers to the elite Washington Open swim meet in Federal Way, Washington.
Head Coach Cyrus Crews and Assistant Coach Mike Carr accompanied the swimmers as they competed against more than 1,300 swimmers representing 80 teams from 8 western states.
The TTST swimmers who attended the four day event were Brandon Yong, Ryan Williams, Lola Tieslau, Isabelle Salmon, Kate Rye, Evan Ospal, Gavin Olsen, Maddie Maxim, Riley Madigan, Anna Kates, Alyssa Hynes, Hunter Hoffman, Cooper Deryk, Megan Darzynkiewicz, Kaikea Crews, Dylan Cole, Megan Burrill, Grace Bronstone and Aaron Bronstone.
Deryk, 17, took first in the 50 freestyle for the second year in a row and fourth in both the 100 meter butterfly and 100 meter freestyle. He also made two new best times in the 200 meter individual medley and the 200 meter freestyle.
Crews, 14, took first in the 100 meter backstroke and third in the 200 meter backstroke, as well as made it to the B final in the 200 meter IM and the C final in the 50 meter freestyle. He dropped time off both backstroke races, as well as the 200 meter IM and the 100 meter butterfly.
The team for the boys "A" relay, consisting of Hoffman (15), Olsen (17), Crews and Deryk, posted new team records of 1:29.06 seconds in the 200 meter free relay and 3:41.23 in the 400 meter medley relay.
Darzynkiewicz (14), Hynes (12) and Madigan (13) all swam best times and qualified for Junior Olympics, where they will join at least a dozen other teammates who have qualified for the March event in Folsom, California.
Overall, TTST had 134 points and placed 16th out of 54 teams and all of the TTST swimmers at the meet made best times in at least one of their events.
Visit http://www.truckeeswim.com for more information about the Truckee Tahoe Swim Team.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe-Truckee biking: Nonprofit seeks proposals for region-wide map
- Explore Tahoe: Area fishing charters provide fun, successful excursions
- Tahoe skier Lila Lapanja on World Cup: ‘Smiling is my antidote to negativity’
- Truckee High School track teams excel at Fallon meet
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Tahoe Chief’s Corner: Too much snow can destroy your home
- Opinion: High-speed bikers making Truckee River Legacy Trail unsafe
- Fresno man killed after falling from Lake Tahoe casino
- Reno-Tahoe International Airport unveils first update of new master plan
- Bear activity picking up around Lake Tahoe; people urged to be ‘bear aware’