Truckee baseball | Wolverines call it a season
May 13, 2014
The Truckee baseball team ended a tough season with a pair of league losses, 6-4 and 14-13, against visiting Fernley on Friday and Saturday.
The third game of the series was snowed out and will not be made up, as Fernley's playoff hopes were dashed when South Tahoe (15-9) defeated Fallon (17-7) to earn the fourth regional playoff seed.
Elko (17-7), meanwhile, clinched the top playoff seed, while Fallon will enter as the No. 2 seed and Spring Creek (15-9) the third seed. Fernley finished 13-10 and Truckee 6-17.
The Wolverines managed six hits in Friday's game. Gavin Broad drove in two runs and had one hit, Johnny Spaich had a hit and RBI, Mike Jones had two hits, and Bradley VanSchoonhoven and Cameron Hollabaugh contributed a hit apiece.
VanSchoonhoven started and took the loss, allowing six runs over six innings while striking out five. Miles Guiragossian pitched a scoreless seventh with one strikeout.
Truckee picked up its offense on a cold Saturday morning. The Wolverines banged out 14 hits, led by Broad's 3-for-6 performance with two doubles and an RBI.
But the Wolverines could not contain the Vaqueros, who plated 14 runs off of Truckee pitchers Ty Vaio and Guiragossian. With Truckee committing seven errors, however, only six of the 10 runs against Vaio were earned, and one of the four runs against Guiragossian.
Vaio helped his cause with two RBIs on two hits, including a double, while Guiragossian drove in two runs on one hit. VanSchoonhoven contributed two hits and an RBI, Hollabaugh had two hits, including a double, Thor Retzlaff had a hit and RBI, Nico Gardella had two hits, and Mike Jones one hit.
Seniors Gardella, Vaio and Retzlaff played their final games for the Wolverines, as the 1 p.m. game was snowed out in the first inning. Riley Guiragossian is the only other senior on the Truckee squad, which is set up to return six juniors and five sophomores next season.
Gardella hit an even .300 in 20 at-bats for the Wolverines. Hollabaugh hit .289 with five doubles and 12 RBIs, Broad hit .279 with 11 RBIs, and VanSchoonhoven hit .265 with six doubles and 12 RBIs. Riley Guiragossian and Vaio each had 10 RBIs.
Before Saturday's game, the Wolverines honored their late head coach, Mike Ellis, with a ceremony in which an American flag was placed on a flag pole in center field after it was flown over the capital building in Washington, D.C.
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Prep Nordic racing: Season concludes with CNISSF state championships
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Truckee Raptors youth basketball team crowned champs
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan