Truckee baseball | Wolverines open season in DI tourney
March 18, 2014
The Truckee baseball team opened the season with a tough slate of games against larger schools in the Mike Bearman Memorial Preseason Tournament at Douglas this past Thursday through Saturday.
The Wolverines went 0-5 as they tried to shake their offseason rust. Nevertheless, coach Mike Ellis was still encouraged by the way his young team swung the bats.
Truckee opened with a 10-0 loss to host Douglas and followed losses to Spanish Springs, 11-4, North Valleys, 9-7, McQueen, 25-15, and Reed, 11-3.
"We're still getting the rust off. Our defense stunk it up," Ellis said. "But everybody got to throw, and we were hitting the ball."
Ellis said senior hurler Ty Vaio tossed a solid game against North Valleys, nearly going the distance, while Riley and Miles Guiragossian and Mike Jones, among others, had success at the plate.
The Wolverines will jump right into Northern Division I-A play this Friday and Saturday, as they have three league games at Fallon (Friday 3 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m., 1 p.m.).
Trending In: Sports
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- It’s all in the hips: how to keep your golf swing loose this winter
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Tahoe skiing: How to master (or, at least learn) new movements with the inside ski
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Squaw-Alpine staying open through Memorial Day, others extend spring skiing season
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues