Truckee baseball | Wolverines open season in DI tourney
March 18, 2014
The Truckee baseball team opened the season with a tough slate of games against larger schools in the Mike Bearman Memorial Preseason Tournament at Douglas this past Thursday through Saturday.
The Wolverines went 0-5 as they tried to shake their offseason rust. Nevertheless, coach Mike Ellis was still encouraged by the way his young team swung the bats.
Truckee opened with a 10-0 loss to host Douglas and followed losses to Spanish Springs, 11-4, North Valleys, 9-7, McQueen, 25-15, and Reed, 11-3.
“We’re still getting the rust off. Our defense stunk it up,” Ellis said. “But everybody got to throw, and we were hitting the ball.”
Ellis said senior hurler Ty Vaio tossed a solid game against North Valleys, nearly going the distance, while Riley and Miles Guiragossian and Mike Jones, among others, had success at the plate.
The Wolverines will jump right into Northern Division I-A play this Friday and Saturday, as they have three league games at Fallon (Friday 3 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m., 1 p.m.).
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- North Tahoe prep roundup: Laker boys soccer thumps Fallon 17-1
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe skiing: Try these tips on how to train early and smart for winter sports