Truckee baseball | Wolverines outscore Warriors 53-2 in doubleheader sweep
April 15, 2013
The Truckee baseball team left little suspense in a Mount Rose League doubleheader against Whittell on Saturday. The Wolverines scored 53 times while holding the Warriors to just 2 runs in a pair of lopsided victories, 26-2 and 27-0.
Truckee scored 26 runs in Game 1 on 23 hits, led by senior Aaron Pado's 5-for-5 performance with a double, triple and five runs.
The Wolverines scored three runs in the first inning, 13 in the second and nine in the fourth. The Warriors scored once in the first inning and once in the fifth as the game was called on the 10-run mercy rule.
Truckee's Erik Holmer, Bradley VanSchoonhoven and Andy McKechnie contributed three hits and three RBIs apiece, Chris Towle had two hits and four RBIs, and Jackson Rohlf had two hits and three RBIs.
Holmer started on the mound and gave up one run on seven hits, while Ty Vaio allowed one run on two hits in one inning of relief.
The second game was called after just three innings, after the Wolverines exploded for 16 runs in the second inning and another 10 in the third.
Riley Guiragossian started for Truckee and allowed only two hits while striking out four in three innings.
Truckee had 18 hits, with McKechnie going 4-for-4 with a double, triple and five RBIs, and Thor Retzlaff going 3-for-4 with a double, triple and six RBIs. Teagan Pado and Holmer each had two hits and three RBIs, while Towle had three hits and two RBIs, and Aaron Pado had a hit and two RBIs.
The Wolverines (10-12 overall) are scheduled to play a Mount Rose League doubleheader at South Tahoe on Saturday, April 20, at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Trending In: Sports
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- Truckee’s craft beer scene exploded way back in 1876 with opening of the massive Boca Brewery
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list