Truckee baseball | Wolverines win league series vs. Sparks
Ryan Summerlin May 8, 2014
Northern Division I-A standings
1. South Tahoe 13-5
2. Elko 15-6
3. Fallon 12-6
4. Spring Creek 12-6
5. Fernley 10-8
6. Lowry 9-9
7. Dayton 6-12
8. Truckee 4-14
9. Sparks 3-18
The Truckee baseball team jumped out to an early lead and never trailed en route to an 8-5 win at Sparks on Tuesday.
Sophomore right-hander JJ Bellon started and earned the victory with a complete-game effort. He scattered seven hits and three walks over seven innings while striking out five. Four of the hosts’ five runs were earned.
The Railroaders hurt their cause with defensive miscues and walks, as they committed six errors and allowed five free passes between pitchers Travis Dulgar and Matthew Longland.
The Wolverines took advantage, scoring four runs in the sixth inning to stretch a 4-2 lead to 8-2. Sparks scored three runs in the seventh before Bellon sealed the win.
Truckee had nine hits to Sparks’ seven. Senior Ty Vaio went 3-for-4 with two RBIs, Thor Retzlaff was 2-for-4 with an RBI and three runs, and Bradley VanSchoonhoven and Cameron Hollabaugh each contributed a hit and RBI. Teagan Pado also drove in a run, while Johnny Spaich and Gavin Broad had a hit apiece.
Allejandro Villegas led the Railroaders with a pair of hits and RBIs.
The win gave Truckee the three-game season series, 2-1, over Sparks, which fell to 3-18 in Northern Division I-A play. Truckee improved to 4-14 in with two league series remaining.
Truckee is scheduled to host a league series against Dayton on Thursday at 3 p.m. and Friday at 2 and 4 p.m. The Wolverines will end their season with a three-game home series against Fernley on May 9-10.
Trending In: Sports
- Take a hike: Scenic jaunt to Lake Margaret well worth the work (video)
- Truckee football focus: ‘Let’s be the most physical football team on the field’
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano’s 696 all-purpose yards lead way in homecoming rout
- Tahoe biking: 6 trail etiquette reminders for a safe, fun fall ride
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Amid housing crisis, North Tahoe-Truckee real estate sales thrive
- Tensions still high over Lake Tahoe bear management on Nevada side
- Opinion: Placer County shows lack of commitment to Lake Tahoe