Truckee baseball | Wolverines win league series vs. Sparks
May 8, 2014
Northern Division I-A standings
1. South Tahoe 13-5
2. Elko 15-6
3. Fallon 12-6
4. Spring Creek 12-6
5. Fernley 10-8
6. Lowry 9-9
7. Dayton 6-12
8. Truckee 4-14
9. Sparks 3-18
The Truckee baseball team jumped out to an early lead and never trailed en route to an 8-5 win at Sparks on Tuesday.
Sophomore right-hander JJ Bellon started and earned the victory with a complete-game effort. He scattered seven hits and three walks over seven innings while striking out five. Four of the hosts' five runs were earned.
The Railroaders hurt their cause with defensive miscues and walks, as they committed six errors and allowed five free passes between pitchers Travis Dulgar and Matthew Longland.
The Wolverines took advantage, scoring four runs in the sixth inning to stretch a 4-2 lead to 8-2. Sparks scored three runs in the seventh before Bellon sealed the win.
Truckee had nine hits to Sparks' seven. Senior Ty Vaio went 3-for-4 with two RBIs, Thor Retzlaff was 2-for-4 with an RBI and three runs, and Bradley VanSchoonhoven and Cameron Hollabaugh each contributed a hit and RBI. Teagan Pado also drove in a run, while Johnny Spaich and Gavin Broad had a hit apiece.
Allejandro Villegas led the Railroaders with a pair of hits and RBIs.
The win gave Truckee the three-game season series, 2-1, over Sparks, which fell to 3-18 in Northern Division I-A play. Truckee improved to 4-14 in with two league series remaining.
Truckee is scheduled to host a league series against Dayton on Thursday at 3 p.m. and Friday at 2 and 4 p.m. The Wolverines will end their season with a three-game home series against Fernley on May 9-10.
Trending In: Sports
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Prep Nordic racing: Season concludes with CNISSF state championships
- Tahoe skiing: How to master (or, at least learn) new movements with the inside ski
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Some on West Shore may be without power into Saturday
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week