Truckee-based cycling team ranks among state’s best
April 5, 2012
The Truckee-based Marc Pro-Strava cycling team has been climbing the ranks since its inception.
Formed in 2008 as Cyclepaths/Wild Cherries from a pool of local athletes and friends, the team did not have ambitions to grow beyond Tahoe. However, those ambitions changed as the team started winning races all over the West Coast.
During the 2011 racing season, the team landed new title sponsors – Marc Pro and Strava – and recruited a deeper roster from all over Northern California.
With additional talent on the squad, Marc Pro-Strava was able to secure enough victories to place it as the second-ranked road cycling team in Northern California. Marc Pro-Strava managed to do this with a team half the size and a quarter of the budget of most major squads.
The team’s popularity has been attributed to its core values of friendship, passion for the sport and its engaged online presence. The website http://www.marcpro-strava.com is updated daily with race reports, local cycling advocacy, trail information, news, videos, photos and humor regarding road and mountain cycling.
Two members of the team own and operate Truckee-based Orbital Laboratory, a creative studio focused on authenticating brands through visual mediums. OrbitalDesignLab.com authenticated Marc Pro-Strava’s social and online platform, attracting the major sponsors it has today.
For the 2012 season, the team is poised to compete at the national level, and has established a development squad as well as a masters team (35 years and older). On top of racing hard, the team is focused on creating website blog posts about feedback on team equipment like the social fitness service Strava, exercise recovery with Marc Pro and much more from additional sponsors Mavic, Oakley, Clif Bar, SRAM, Giro Felt Bikes, Ritchey, Wild Cherries Coffee House and Cyclepaths Bike Shop.
Check out the proof and read epic tales about racing and riding around California in a pro peloton, the latest insider product reviews, Leadville’s single-speed perspective, cycling advocacy and much more at http://www.marcpro-strava.com.
– Team rider Matt Chappell is the author of this week’s Marc Pro-Strava Racing column. Marc Pro-Strava Racing is a Truckee-based cycling team focused on racing and local bike advocacy. For more information, results and upcoming events, visit http://marcpro-strava.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- South Lake Tahoe resident wins Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 100-mile race
- Tahoe Top 5: Local experts share their favorite trails around North Lake to soak up some sunshine with dogs
- Lake Tahoe stormwater site goes live
- Momentum picks up in fight against invasive plants in Tahoe Keys
- Rafting operations sidelined on Truckee River
- Researchers discover three new toad species in Nevada’s Great Basin
- Truckee Donner Land Trust and Nature Conservancy secure another piece of the Sierra
- Former Truckee officer charged with multiple counts of assault
- Former Truckee Police officer pleads not guilty in excessive force case
- Clearly Tahoe offers new perspective of Lake Tahoe with clear kayaks