Truckee golf | Flora fires season low in Elko
April 19, 2013
Lowry took top honors at a Northern Division I-A golf tournament at Ruby View Golf Course in Elko on Wednesday, while first-year Truckee sophomore Brandon Flora led the Wolverines with a season-low score.
The Buckaroos finished with a combined score of 400 between their top five golfers to lead the field. Host Elko was second, shooting a 418 collectively, and was followed by Spring Creek (431), Dayton (472), Whittell (480), Fernley (485), Fallon (493), South Tahoe (548) and Sparks (548).
Truckee only had four golfers and thus did not record a team score. Whittell was the only DIII school in the mix.
Flora impressed Truckee coach Kevin Waters by firing an 87 — the lowest score by a Truckee golfer in "quite awhile," Waters said.
"He's gonna be a stud in the next couple years," Waters said of Flora. "He already is."
Truckee's Jordan Fereira shot a 98, Jared Huey shot a 105 and Paul Buschmann a 106. The Wolverines were missing Sam Mohun and Max Barta.
"We're getting better all the time. We're getting the program built back up," Waters said. "And we're excited to be able to practice locally now."
Lowry's Cole Erquiaga was the tournament medalist, carding a 75.
Another Division I-A tournament was scheduled for Thursday in Winnemucca.
Trending In: Sports
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Prep Nordic racing: Season concludes with CNISSF state championships
- Tahoe skiing: How to master (or, at least learn) new movements with the inside ski
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Some on West Shore may be without power into Saturday; others still out, too
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week