Truckee golf | Flora fires season low in Elko
April 19, 2013
Lowry took top honors at a Northern Division I-A golf tournament at Ruby View Golf Course in Elko on Wednesday, while first-year Truckee sophomore Brandon Flora led the Wolverines with a season-low score.
The Buckaroos finished with a combined score of 400 between their top five golfers to lead the field. Host Elko was second, shooting a 418 collectively, and was followed by Spring Creek (431), Dayton (472), Whittell (480), Fernley (485), Fallon (493), South Tahoe (548) and Sparks (548).
Truckee only had four golfers and thus did not record a team score. Whittell was the only DIII school in the mix.
Flora impressed Truckee coach Kevin Waters by firing an 87 — the lowest score by a Truckee golfer in “quite awhile,” Waters said.
“He’s gonna be a stud in the next couple years,” Waters said of Flora. “He already is.”
Truckee’s Jordan Fereira shot a 98, Jared Huey shot a 105 and Paul Buschmann a 106. The Wolverines were missing Sam Mohun and Max Barta.
“We’re getting better all the time. We’re getting the program built back up,” Waters said. “And we’re excited to be able to practice locally now.”
Lowry’s Cole Erquiaga was the tournament medalist, carding a 75.
Another Division I-A tournament was scheduled for Thursday in Winnemucca.
Trending In: Sports
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Explore Tahoe: Not into skiing? Check out these 6 fun winter ideas
- Lake Tahoe, other Western ski resorts seek Guinness record for lessons
- Tahoe skiing: Guided backcountry tours available at Squaw-Alpine
- Lake Tahoe weather: Are you ready for round three of snow and wind?
- Tahoe power outages: Floriston, Tahoma areas back online (updated)
- Tahoe City woman, 43, killed after tree crushes Subaru (updated)
- Trio of Tahoe-Truckee ski companies stomping their claim in the Sierra
- Lake Tahoe weather: ‘It’s going to be crazy’ this weekend as region digs out