Truckee golf | Tilton, Fereira fare well in state tourney
Ryan Summerlin May 27, 2014
Truckee juniors Cody Tilton and Jordan Fereira posted top-25 finishes in the Division I-A state golf championship at Mountain Falls Golf Course in Pahrump last Wednesday and Thursday.
Tilton and Fereira finished with identical two-day scores of 166, which placed them 22nd in a field of 47 golfers.
Charlie Magruder of Faith Lutheran won the individual state title, firing a 77 and 66 for a two-day total of 143. His top-seeded Crusaders, meanwhile, won the team championship with a combined score of 781.
Lowry, the top seed from the North, finished six strokes back of Faith Lutheran, at 787. Boulder City was third with a team score of 817 and was followed by Elko (829), Pahrump Valley (878) and Spring Creek (884).
Luke Logan of Boulder City finished second individually, with a 149 (73, 76). Ethan Gray of Lowry was third overall and the top golfer from the North, firing a 152 (79, 73).
Tilton carded an 83 on both days, while Fereira shot a 93 and 73. Both golfers earned state championship berths based on their regular-season results, as the top three teams and top five individuals from non-qualifying teams made the cut.
“It was a good experience and both players played well in their first (state) appearance,” said Truckee coach Kevin Waters. “Both will look to build from this and be in the running for the title next season.”
Trending In: Sports
- PHOTOS: Marco Capelli wins inaugural Truckee Marathon
- Truckee football focus: ‘Let’s be the most physical football team on the field’
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano’s 696 all-purpose yards lead way in homecoming rout
- Truckee JV Pop Warner football team improves to 1-1 with win over Sparks
- Truckee prep roundup: Girls soccer stays unbeaten after wins over South Tahoe, Incline