Truckee golf | Wolverines host final regular-season tourney
Ryan Summerlin May 10, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — While they didn’t qualified for the Division I-A state golf championship, the Wolverines ended the season on a high note in their hosted tournament at Old Greenwood on Thursday.
Truckee finished sixth in a field of nine team, posting a team score of 475 between its top five golfers.
Lowry took the win with a low team score of 415. Elko was second with a 431 and Spring Creek third at 438. South Tahoe was fourth with a 462, followed by Dayton with a 464. Fallon (511), Fernley (523) and Sparks (566) also competed.
Cole Erquiaga of Lowry earned medalist honors by firing a 78. Teammate Ethan Gray was second with a 79 and Elko’s Caden Bammesberger third with an 81.
Sam Mohun led the Truckee contingent, shooting a 92. Paul Buschmann shot a 93, Brandon Flora a 94, Jordan Fereira a 95, Jared Huey a 101 and Zak Pettit a 104.
The top three teams based on the seven regular-season tournaments — Lowry, Elko and Spring Creek — advanced to the state championship.
The top five individuals from non-qualifying teams also earned state berths. They include Justice Akerson (82.8) of Fernley, Jake Turner (87) of Dayton, Connor Shaw (89.2) and Tre Charette (92.6) of South Tahoe, Jeff Evett (92.6) of Fallon and Jeff Brooks (92.8) of Dayton.
Mohun posted Truckee’s lowest average, with a 93.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee football focus: ‘Let’s be the most physical football team on the field’
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano’s 696 all-purpose yards lead way in homecoming rout
- Truckee JV Pop Warner football team improves to 1-1 with win over Sparks
- Truckee prep roundup: Girls soccer stays unbeaten after wins over South Tahoe, Incline
- Truckee cross country: Wolverines finish ahead of the pack at home meet