Truckee grad Morgan Nevin named All-State at Santa Barbara
Ryan Summerlin March 12, 2013
Santa Barbara City College linebacker and Truckee High grad Morgan Nevin was recently selected to the All-State Region 5 football squad.
Along with Nevin, offensive tackle Wade Norberg from South Tahoe also was named to the All-State team.
Nevin, a 6-0 freshman and key member of Truckee’s 2009 and 2010 state championship teams, was the top tackler in Southern California, averaging 11.8 per game for the SBCC Vaqueros. Nevin had 45 solo tackles and 15 for loss.
He recorded 11 or more tackles in seven of his 10 games with a season-high of 17 in the Aug. 31 opener versus Hancock.
“Morgan is a very good tackler who runs well,” said fifth-year SBCC head coach Craig Moropoulos. “We knew he had the capabilities. He’s got a great work ethic and that helped him have a great freshman year.”
Norberg is a 6-6, 211-pound sophomore and two-year starter for the Vaqueros.
“He’s a technician who’s very smart, very coachable and has a great work ethic,” Moropoulos said. “That helps him make up for that fact that he’s not as big as some linemen.
“Getting two guys on the all-state team is a good accomplishment. They were both unanimous choices on the all-conference team. It’s always nice to see young people recognized for their hard work and commitment.”
The Vaqueros went 4-6 this past season.
Trending In: Sports
- PHOTOS: Marco Capelli wins inaugural Truckee Marathon
- Truckee football focus: ‘Let’s be the most physical football team on the field’
- Take a hike: Scenic jaunt to Lake Margaret well worth the work (video)
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano’s 696 all-purpose yards lead way in homecoming rout
- Truckee JV Pop Warner football team improves to 1-1 with win over Sparks