Truckee rec skiers fare well in championship race
April 11, 2013
Alpine Meadows served as host to about 145 recreational ski racers from Nevada, California and Oregon in the annual Far West Racing Association Championships last weekend.
On Friday the Pacesetters races were held on Yellow Run, where 45 pacesetters ran two giant slalom courses and then two slalom courses to determine their handicaps for next year.
The two-course slalom event the following day was held with 145 competitors ranging in age from 5 to 80 years old. Each competitor ran two separate slalom courses, as the two times were combined to determine the victors.
On Sunday, with challenging conditions after raining all night, the race crew at Alpine Meadows performed miracles in preparing the courses for the racers, and like clockwork, the GS was completed on Werner’s Shuss trail. This was a single-run GS.
Several Truckee racers battled the elements and the firm race conditions on the courses.
Donn Bryant swept the Legends class for racers over 75 years old, taking first place in both the GS and the Slalom. In the GS, Carlene Boutacoff raced into second place in 7 Vet Women, Nan Carnal took first place in 6 Super Vet Women, and Jeff McCabe took third place in 6 Vet Men. Bill Red also swept his class with two first places in 5 Super Vet Men.
In 4 Vet Women, Nancy Ellis was fourth in the slalom, and second in the GS. In 3 Super Vet Men, John McGregor took second in both events, Barbara McCabe took first place both days in 3 Super Vet Women, and Bob Ellis took fourth in the slalom and third in the GS in the 0 Vet Men Class.
Open League from the Bay Area took the Overall Points Trophy with 1,293 points for adults, as well as the Juniors Overall Points Trophy. Singles League from the Bay Area won the Roma McCoy Trophy for most points per racer. Both trophies will be presented at the Far West Ski Association Convention being held at the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno from June 6-9.
Trending In: Sports
- Tahoe skiing: Downhill resorts offer up new features for the 2016-17 season
- VIDEO: Tahoe native, U.S. Ski Team’s Lila Lapanja returning to form
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- IVGID Tip: Up your game for Lake Tahoe’s ski slopes
- Truckee cross-country: Girls edge Spring Creek for third title in four years
- Sierra history: The legacy of Donner Ski Ranch, an 80-year-old resort rebel
- Whoops! Accident left Alpine Meadows in the dark
- I-80 wrecks: If you thought there were more than usual at Floriston, you’re right
- 5 arrested near Truckee after iPhone thefts, high-speed chase (w/ mugshots)
- Evidence heard in April murder of woman near Truckee