Truckee Running Festival kicks off Big Blue Adventure summer series
June 12, 2014
More than 250 people participated in the Truckee Running Festival at River View Sports Park this past Saturday.
The event, which was the first of 12 races in the Big Blue Adventure Tahoe Trail Running Series, featured three distances, from 5 kilometers to a half marathon.
Donatas Ereminas, 32, of Truckee claimed the win in a field of 49 runners in the half marathon, posting a time of 1:28:53. Kristin Walstad, 42, of Alta was second overall and the first woman with a time of 1:32:30, and Caitlin Bernstein, 25, of Norden was the second woman and third overall in 1:35:42.
They were followed by Jim Telling of Truckee (1:36:49), Terry Bonnett of Ontario (1:44:34), Steven Speak of Roseville (1:54:42), Mike Trueblood of Citrus Heights (1:58:45), Frances Finney of Oakland (1:59:00), Alexander Humenetsky of Truckee (2:05:56) and Melissa Power of San Marcos (2:05:59) rounding out the top 10.
Judi Dietz of Tahoe Vista was the fifth woman across the line and 11th overall, in 2:07:49, Keith Parker of Tahoe City was 13th (2:12:48) and Michael Murphy of Truckee was 18th (2:19:20).
A total of 54 runners took to the 10K course. Silas Stafford, 28, of San Francisco won the race with a time of 43:51, while Regina Curry of Truckee was the top woman and second overall in 45:06. Doug Meier of Truckee was third in 48:02.
John Whetstone of Zephyr Cove was sixth (53:260, Truckee’s David Laberge eighth (54:35) and Scott Montgomery 10th (55:37).
The 5K race — with proceeds benefitting Girls on the Run — proved to be the most popular distance, with 154 participants.
Nick Morgan, 18, of Truckee took the win with a time of 20:19. He was followed by Greg Madler, 51, of Elko Grove, who finished in 21:29, and Holden Reed, 18, of Truckee, who finished in 22:03.
Truckee’s Courtney Hollway Keim finished fourth overall and first in the women’s field, posting a time of 22:11.
Warren Kendall of Incline recorded a fifth-place finish in 24:58, Peter Olmstead of Tahoe City was sixth (25:29), Hana Mazur of Truckee seventh (25:59), Sabrina Belleci of Incline eighth (26:08) and Stephen Berei of Zephyr Cove ninth (26:18).
Find a photo gallery from the event at http://www.lefrakphotography.com and complete results at http://www.bigblueadventure.com. The Big Blue Adventure’s Tahoe Trail Running Series continues with the Squaw Valley Half Marathon on June 15 and the Burton Creek Trail Run on June 22. Each Big Blue participant receives a free digital photo by Lefrak Photography.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- Truckee cross-country: Girls claim 3rd, boys take 10th in Folsom
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Truckee football: Wolverines top South Tahoe 21-20 in Sierra Bowl
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens