Truckee skiers, riders attend Far West Ski Week trip
February 11, 2014
A number of Truckee residents participated in the 2014 Far West Ski Week trip in Beaver Creek, Colo., last week.
A total of 483 skiers and snowboarders from the Western United States made the trip, while about 170 signed up to race, including Truckee’s Bill Red, Debi Phelps, Bill Phelps, Pavel Bosin, Luda Sidorova, Nancy Ellis and Bob Ellis.
Normally, the event hosts a slalom race, a giant slalom (GS) and dual council challenge GS race for the Far West members. This year the GS was snowed out by 23 inches of snow on Wednesday night, so only the slalom and dual council challenge GS races were held.
The Cabernet Ski Club from Truckee was the top club for the week, with 210 points. President of the club is Donn Bryant of Truckee. The Modesto Ski Club was second with 119 points, and Reno Ski and Rec was third with 96 points.
The top Council Award went to Sierra Council, of which the Cabernet Ski Club is a member, with 356 points. The Bay Area Council was second with 301 points and the Los Angeles Council was third with 162 points.
The Sierra Council Team also won the council challenge dual GS.
The slalom was an FIS-approved course with 45 gates and included two runs with combined times on very firm snow. The dual GS was held in soft snow after the snowstorm.
Trending In: Sports
- Truckee prep roundup: Wolverines cruise in volleyball, girls soccer
- Truckee football: Wolverines primed for clash with rival South Tahoe
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano, Lakers sneak past Yerington JV
- Incline prep roundup: Boys, girls soccer fall short to North Tahoe
- North Tahoe prep roundup: Laker boys soccer thumps Fallon 17-1
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: 6 inches of snow reported at high elevations Monday
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Woman on vacation from Taiwan killed in Lake Tahoe wreck