Truckee softball | Vikings sweep makeup series
May 8, 2014
The Truckee softball team came up a run short in two of its three games in a makeup series against South Tahoe on Monday and Wednesday.
After being edged 7-6 on Monday, the Wolverines came back to knot the score at 10-10 late in Game 1 of Wednesday's doubleheader. But the visiting Vikings eked out the 11-10 win, then completed the series sweep with an 11-1 win in Game 2.
"(It was) a great effort by all players involved," said Truckee coach Chris Simpson. "We as a team have been talking about two things specifically we can control, attitude and effort. Truckee showed great attitude and 110 percent effort."
Simpson said he and his coaching staff look forward to a successful season next year as the Wolverines continue to rebuild their program.
"All of the coaches are very proud of each and every player never giving up," he said. "Truckee has come along way this season. I think we surprised the opposition each week with our determination."
Truckee, which graduates seven seniors but returns eight players, will end the season with a three-game home series against Fernley on Friday (3 p.m.) and Saturday (11 a.m., 1 p.m.).
Trending In: Sports
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- It’s all in the hips: how to keep your golf swing loose this winter
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Tahoe skiing: How to master (or, at least learn) new movements with the inside ski
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Squaw-Alpine staying open through Memorial Day, others extend spring skiing season
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues