Truckee tennis | Boys fall against stacked McQueen
Ryan Summerlin September 13, 2013
The Truckee boys tennis team took on a tough McQueen squad this week in a nonleague match at the Tahoe Donner Tennis Center, which the school is privileged to call its home court.
McQueen, which has nine returning seniors, including all three of its singles starters from last year, handed the Wolverines a 12-6 defeat.
“We tried to tweak our starting lineup to heavily favor our doubles teams,” said Truckee coach Marc Pado.
Truckee took two starting seniors from singles and put them in as a doubles team. While the strategy had a smattering of success, the sets came up a little shy.
“Our No. 1 and 2 seeds both did very well. Even a few of the matches we lost were well-fought,” said coach Rick Deeter.
Teagan Pado and Colin Gerrard swept their match, winning 6-4 against McQueen’s top seed. After going 7-5 against the No. 2 players, they honed in to wrap up the day with a 6-1 victory.
Aaron Deeter and Ethan Gotts also performed well, winning 6-1 and then driving to a tiebreaker in the second set. The back-and-forth went to a 12-10 victory. Deeter/Gotts faced McQueen’s top seed in the final round, falling a break to come up short, 4-6.
Toby Ziegler and Addison Dvoracek teamed up for the first time and were forced to adjust to playing doubles on short notice. After slipping in a tiebreaker in the first set, they won the second round 6-3, which was against McQueen’s top seed. The game just didn’t quite come together in the final round, coming up short at 3-6.
There were two other close matches in singles. Eli Yale lost 3-6 and Nicholas Gardella also took it to a tiebreaker in the final set, but came up shy, 6-7.
Trending In: Sports
- Take a hike: Scenic jaunt to Lake Margaret well worth the work (video)
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano’s 696 all-purpose yards lead way in homecoming rout
- Truckee football focus: ‘Let’s be the most physical football team on the field’
- Tahoe biking: 6 trail etiquette reminders for a safe, fun fall ride
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Amid housing crisis, North Tahoe-Truckee real estate sales thrive
- Tensions still high over Lake Tahoe bear management on Nevada side
- Opinion: Placer County shows lack of commitment to Lake Tahoe