Truckee track | Girls third at Elks Invitational
March 29, 2013
The Truckee track and field squad had another impressive early-season showing at the 41st Annual Elks Invitational in Fallon over the weekend.
In a field of 15 teams, with representation from all NIAA divisions, the Truckee girls placed third overall, earning either a first or second place in all distances from 100 meters to 1,600.
Sophomore Tareyn Ryan took top honors in the 100-meter dash with a time of 13.76, while defending Division IA state champion Quinn Parker landed at the top of the podium in both the 200 and 400 with times of 26.32 and 58.81, respectively. Senior Ashley Harris medaled in the 200 as well, in fourth place at 28.39.
The winning result of the day was sophomore Gabrielle Rinne's 2:19.70 performance in the 800. Not only did she post the third-fastest time and top sophomore performance in all Nevada divisions this season, it was the 75th-fastest high school time in the nation (out of more than 11,000 results tallied thus far), and 17th-best sophomore time of the year.
Freshman Olivia Yale also registered an impressive top-10 finish in the 800, in ninth place in a time of 2:35.10.
Sophomore Skyler Flora, just back from Nordic Junior Nationals in Fairbanks, Alaska, proved that her transition from cross-country skiing to running will be smooth, as she finished second in the 1600 in 5:31.50. Teammate Michaela Welch, also a sophomore, shined in the 3200, with a seventh-place finish in 13:45.5.
Recommended Stories For You
Truckee's girls also excelled in relays. Harris, Rinne, Yale and Ryan placed fourth in the 4×200 relay with a time of 1:56.41. A similarly composed 4×400 relay team of Harris, Rinne, Yale and Parker, representing each grade of high school, easily took top honors with a 4:15 finish.
Standout performances among the Truckee boys included top-10 finishes for senior Jake Pettit in both the 100 and 200, placing ninth in both events in 11.89 and 24.32, respectively.
First-year track athletes Ian Wilson, a junior, and freshman Colin Deurlington fared well in the 400, placing eighth (55.30) and 13th (56.86). Junior Nick Morgan placed 15th in the 800 with a 2:17 performance.
In the field events, Wilson placed 13th with a 17.03-foot long jump while senior Javier Virrey placed 17th with a 33.04-foot triple jump.
Next up for the Wolverines is the 32-team Reed Invitational in Sparks on Friday and Saturday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Boreal Mountain Resort aims to ‘play forever’ with environmental initiative
- Tahoe Trail Running Series nearing conclusion
- Truckee boys and girls’ soccer undefeated in league play
- North Tahoe football falls 36-0 to West Wendover on homecoming
- Wolverines football honors former coach with 39-8 win against Lowry
- First snow of 2017-18 season falls in Squaw Valley, Truckee on Thursday, Sept. 21 (Video)
- One person killed in 16-vehicle crash Thursday on I-80
- Nevada County prosecutor: child sex suspect caught at airport
- Lack of inventory continues to drive higher price of homes in Nevada County
- Cheetahs, tigers & bears — in Reno?