Truckee volleyball | Wolverines eke out win at South Tahoe
October 8, 2013
The Truckee volleyball team got all it could handle from the defending state champs Friday.
The visiting Wolverines defeated South Tahoe in five sets, 21-25, 25-19, 25-18, 20-25, 15-13, to improve to 2-0 on the year against the Vikings.
“Well, another nail biter,” said Truckee coach Erika Murphy, who has seen her share of close matches against South Tahoe in the past couple seasons.
Murphy said the Wolverines’ ball control was not the best Friday, and as a result they struggled to set up the offense. They made up for it with a strong serving game.
With five sets to work in, Truckee senior outside hitter Mackenzie Redner tallied a team-high 23 kills, as well as 11 service points and 24 digs.
Senior setter Chelsea Mohun finished with 41 assists and four kills, while senior Lauren Peak had 12 kills, 10 service points and 20 digs, Elizabeth Costa had five kills and eight service points, and Kari Murphy and Tori Simpson each had 10 digs.
The Wolverines, who improved to 7-1 in league and 13-10 overall, faced a big test Tuesday to start the second round of league play, as they traveled to Dayton (the match ended too late for publication). The Dust Devils, at 8-0 in league and 25-1 overall, defeated the Wolverines in four sets on Sept. 10.
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- Explore Tahoe-Truckee: Incredible views above Lake Tahoe from the Mt. Rose Highway Scenic Overlook
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists