Truckee volleyball | Wolverines retain No. 2 playoff seed despite loss
November 5, 2013
Final Northern Division I-A standings
South Tahoe 8-8
Spring Creek 3-13
Note: Top 4 advance to playoffs
x-clinch playoff berth
The playoff-bound Truckee volleyball team stumbled in its final regular-season match, losing in five sets against visiting South Tahoe on Friday.
The defending state champion Vikings, who finished 8-8 in Northern Division I-A play and did not qualify for the postseason, were on their game against the Wolverines. The Vikings won the final three sets, 25-17, 25-17, 16-14, after Truckee took the first two, 25-22, 25-22.
Despite the loss, Truckee, at 13-3 in league play, retained its No. 2 regional playoff seed. The Wolverines will open the regional tournament Saturday at Dayton High School, where they’ll face third-seeded Elko (11-5) in a semifinal match at 2 p.m.
“Even though the loss does not affect our spot for zones, it was a good learning experience for our younger players about pressure,” said Truckee coach Erika Murphy. “We will spend this week refocusing on our systems as we prepare for zones and state.”
Top-seeded Dayton (16-0) will take on fourth-seeded Lowry (9-7) on Saturday at noon in the other regional semifinal. Winners meet in the regional final Saturday at 4 p.m., while the semifinal losers are eliminated from the postseason. The state championship is the following weekend in Las Vegas.
Without senior outside hitter Mackenzie Redner in Friday’s match, Truckee leaned on senior Lauren Peak, who delivered with a season-high 17 kills and 32 digs.
Anais Fay contributed seven kills and 20 digs, and Chelsea Mohun tallied 31 assists, three service aces and three kills. Becca Berelson finished with six kills, and Elizabeth Costa had three kills and 14 digs.
Trending In: Sports
- VIDEO: Tahoe native, U.S. Ski Team’s Lila Lapanja returning to form
- Tahoe skiing: Downhill resorts offer up new features for the 2016-17 season
- Tahoe athletes: Josh Daiek thunders into the professional freeskiing scene
- Truckee girls soccer: Wolverines cap dream season with state title
- IVGID Tip: Up your game for Lake Tahoe’s ski slopes
- Truckee Bank of America armed robbery: Second suspect arrested
- Tahoe under the surface: Photographer dives deep for underwater shots
- Northstar California appoints Nadia Guerriero as new GM
- Opinion: Risk of catastrophic fire at Lake Tahoe just got worse
- Truckee-based Squeeze In opens Vegas restaurant; 50 branches eyed by 2020