Truckee’s Krysta Murphy, Mikaela Arnstein collegiate champs
Ryan Summerlin December 10, 2013
A couple of former Truckee High standouts ended their respective college seasons with championship titles this past weekend.
Krysta Murphy, the Sierra Sun’s Female Athlete of the Year in 2012, helped lead her Cabrillo College volleyball team to the California Community College state championship on Sunday.
The same day, nearly 3,000 miles east in Cary, N.C., Truckee grad Mikaela Arnstein and her UCLA women’s soccer team defeated Florida State 1-0 in overtime of the national championship game.
For Cabrillo, the Seahawks’ title was the first achieved by a NorCal volleyball team in 36 years. They defeated Grossmont in the championship match, 28-26, 25-21, 19-25, 25-19, to cap an undefeated season at 31-0.
Murphy, a sophomore defensive specialist, was a key contributor, particularly with her serving game. She finished among the state leaders in aces.
Arnstein, meanwhile, also a sophomore, walked on to the national power UCLA women’s soccer team after she was team manager in 2012. The Bruins finished the season 23-2-3, defeating three No. 1 seeds on their way to the championship.
Nevin, Sheedy make All-Conference
Santa Barbara City College landed 10 players on the All-American Pacific Conference football team, including two former Truckee standouts — Morgan Nevin and Dillon Sheedy.
Nevin, a 6-1, 230-pound sophomore linebacker, was a first-team selection on defense. Nevin ranked No. 1 in the state with 139 tackles, while his average of 15.4 tackles per game was nearly five more than the No. 2 tackler.
Nevin was chosen as the American Pacific Conference Defensive Player of the Week three times during the season. His final selection came after recording a school-record 28 tackles, including 10 solo, in a 38-17 loss to first-place Santa Monica.
Sheedy also was selected to the second team as a defensive end. Sheedy finished third in the American Pacific Conference with 72 tackles.
Retzlaff earns Player of the Week honors
Stein Retzlaff, a Truckee grad and linebacker at Lewis & Clark College, earned Northwest Conference Football Player of the Week honors back in October after helping guide the Pioneers to their first win of the 2013 season.
Retzlaff, a sophomore, ended the game with two tackles for loss and an interception to go with his 14 tackles. He led the team with 81 tackles on the season.
Trending In: Sports
- Take a hike: Scenic jaunt to Lake Margaret well worth the work (video)
- Truckee football focus: ‘Let’s be the most physical football team on the field’
- North Tahoe football: Mercogliano’s 696 all-purpose yards lead way in homecoming rout
- Tahoe biking: 6 trail etiquette reminders for a safe, fun fall ride
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Amid housing crisis, North Tahoe-Truckee real estate sales thrive
- Tensions still high over Lake Tahoe bear management on Nevada side
- Opinion: Placer County shows lack of commitment to Lake Tahoe