U.S. Junior Amateur Championship under way at Martis Camp
July 22, 2013
TRUCKEE — A field of 156 golfers between ages 13 and 17 will tee off Monday in the first round of the week-long U.S. Junior Amateur Championship at Martis Camp Club in Truckee.
The U.S. Junior Amateur consists of 36 holes of stroke play on Monday and Tuesday, after which the field will be reduced to the low 64 scorers. There will be six rounds of match play, starting Wednesday.
The quarterfinals and semifinals are slated for Friday. The championship is scheduled to conclude with a 36-hole final on Saturday starting at 7 a.m.
The Tom Fazio–designed Martis Camp Club course, which opened in 2008 and also hosted the 2011 Pacific Coast Amateur Championship, will be set up at 7,675 yards, the longest course yardage in the event's history. It will be the 71st USGA championship held in California and the 10th U.S. Junior Amateur held in the state.
Jim Liu, 17, of Smithtown, N.Y., is among the favorites in the competitive field. The incoming Stanford University freshman became the youngest U.S. Junior Amateur champion when he won the event in 2010, at only 14 years old, while he finished runner-up a year ago. Liu has played in nine USGA championships, including four Junior Amateurs.
Other top contenders include George Cunningham and Scottie Scheffler, both of whom have four Junior Amateur appearances, as well as Justin Suh, Jeffrey Swegle, and Adam Wood, each with three Junior Amateur appearances. Zecheng Dou, Sam Horsfield, Jooho Lee, Dean Sakata and P.J. Samiere all played in the 2013 U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship and are expected to contend.
Check back for updates from the tournament. Find a tournament schedule at http://www.usga.org/ChampEventGroupingIndex.aspx?eid=17179869329&year=2013&id=21474857915.
Trending In: Sports
- It’s all in the hips: how to keep your golf swing loose this winter
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- North Lake Tahoe’s Alpenglow Mountain Festival wraps this weekend
- America’s rising star: Tahoe’s Travis Ganong talks life away from World Cup
- Explore Tahoe-Truckee: Incredible views above Lake Tahoe from the Mt. Rose Highway Scenic Overlook
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues
- Creatures released into ‘Lake Tahoe’ go on killing spree in 2015 movie