US Biathlon nationals coming to Auburn Ski Club
September 2, 2014
The Auburn Ski Club Training Center will host up to 75 of the best regional and visiting summer biathletes at the US Biathlon summer national championships this Friday through Sunday
Summer Biathlon combines Winter Olympic-style shooting on a 50-meter range with trail running. Athletes are challenged to combine the physical test of running with the demands of marksmanship.
Competitors shoot five rounds with alternating standing and prone shooting positions between each running loop. Competitors must run a 50-meter loop for every missed shot.
“Having the US Biathlon summer national championships at the ASC Training Center provides national exposure for our biathlon program and offers our local athletes the chance to compete with biathletes from around the U.S.,” said Glenn Jobe, a member of the 1980 U.S. Olympic Biathlon team and event organizer.
“We are looking forward to the opportunity to host the summer nationals and have national competitions on our newly completed biathlon range at the Auburn Ski Club Training Center, the only permanent biathlon range on the West Coast.”
The championships begin Friday with a 3/4K Sprint race format and continues Saturday with a 5/6K Pursuit race. It finishes Sunday with 5/6K mass start race.
Competitors in the championship races must be US Biathlon Association members and have their own Biathlon rifle and ammunition. For non USBA members, there will be novice and youth races shooting in the prone position with rifles and a mandatory pre-race safety clinic provided by ASC.
An awards ceremony and barbecue will be held on Saturday at 1 p.m.
For more information and registration, go to http://www.auburnskiclub/org/biathlon.
Trending In: Sports
- Explore Tahoe: From yoga to skiing, Feb. 18-16 winter mountain fest has it all
- Lake Tahoe backcountry skiing is skyrocketing in popularity — but is everyone prepared to make it out alive?
- Death Ride doesn’t live up to name
- Fat-bottom whirls: Try out a fat bike for a new form of Tahoe-Truckee snow fun
- Explore Tahoe-Truckee: Incredible views above Lake Tahoe from the Mt. Rose Highway Scenic Overlook
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists