Chief’s Corner: Spring has sprung — is your defensible space done?
April 16, 2014
EDITOR’S NOTE: “Chief’s Corner” is a regular feature in the North Lake Tahoe Bonanza from North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District Chief Mike Brown, offering information, tips and education material on fire safety, emergency preparedness and other pertinent topics.
Several consecutive dry winters has led to severe to exceptional drought conditions over most of the west with California and Nevada recording the most extreme conditions.
It is more important than ever that we all do our part to create defensible space around our homes. Even with the extensive fuels mitigation work our fire district has done in and around our community, we still need you to do your part.
Consider having a defensible space evaluation done and find out exactly what you can do to help make your home more defendable from wildfire.
Our defensible space and curbside chipping services will begin May 6. Call 775-831-0351, ext. 8118, or go to http://www.nltdpd.net to request either of these services.
Take advantage of the residential curbside yard waste recycling collection program offered by Waste Management and IVGID Waste Not May 5-July 25.
Residents will be mailed “yard waste only” stickers from Waste Management. Conduct your property clean-up, fill heavy duty bags with vegetative yard waste, attach one sticker to each bag and set out on your route’s bi-weekly recycling service day — during the designated timeframe only.
For further information or questions, please call Waste Management 775-831-2971 or Incline Waste Not 775-832-1284.
For more information on the national fire outlook visit http://www.nifc.gov.
Trending In: NewsLocal
- Election 2016: Washoe school board Seat G candidates sound off
- Election 2016: Ten IVGID trustee candidates sound off on district issues
- Election 2016: Horan, Morris, Dent take IVGID primary; Krasner beats Guinasso
- Election 2016: Marijuana ballot measure inflames passions in Nevada County
- Election 2016: 10 file for 3 IVGID seats; NV primary is June 14
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe skiing: Try these tips on how to train early and smart for winter sports