Covered California sign-up deadline extended until Tuesday
Ryan Summerlin April 10, 2014
Some Californians now have until April 15 to complete applications with the state’s health insurance marketplace.
Due to the technical difficulties experienced by Covered California as a result of a surge of last-minute attempts to sign up by the federal March 31 deadline, the deadline was extended for:
Individuals unable to create an online account or start their online application because of technical difficulties.
Individuals who created an online account and completed the first page of the application by the March 31 deadline.
Both have until 11:59 p.m. Tuesday to complete their application and select a health plan.
For coverage beginning May 1, and to avoid a tax penalty for lack of insurance, enrollees must also pay their premium by the payment deadline. Enrollees should check with their insurance companies for deadlines.
After April 15, private health insurance for 2014 can only be obtained through a special enrollment period if one has a life-changing event such as a job loss, birth or divorce.
Eligible adults without coverage in 2014 must pay either a $95 fee, or 1 percent of his or her income, whichever is higher.
To sign up or learn more, visit www.coveredca.com.
Trending In: NewsLocal
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Nitro Circus star, Squaw Valley local Erik Roner dead after parachute accident near Lake Tahoe
- Uber revving up service on both sides of Lake Tahoe; not everyone on board
- Election 2016: Ten IVGID trustee candidates sound off on district issues
- Election 2016: Truckee, Nevada Co. voters reject marijuana Measure W