Covered California sign-up deadline extended until Tuesday
April 10, 2014
Some Californians now have until April 15 to complete applications with the state’s health insurance marketplace.
Due to the technical difficulties experienced by Covered California as a result of a surge of last-minute attempts to sign up by the federal March 31 deadline, the deadline was extended for:
Individuals unable to create an online account or start their online application because of technical difficulties.
Individuals who created an online account and completed the first page of the application by the March 31 deadline.
Both have until 11:59 p.m. Tuesday to complete their application and select a health plan.
For coverage beginning May 1, and to avoid a tax penalty for lack of insurance, enrollees must also pay their premium by the payment deadline. Enrollees should check with their insurance companies for deadlines.
After April 15, private health insurance for 2014 can only be obtained through a special enrollment period if one has a life-changing event such as a job loss, birth or divorce.
Eligible adults without coverage in 2014 must pay either a $95 fee, or 1 percent of his or her income, whichever is higher.
To sign up or learn more, visit http://www.coveredca.com.
Trending In: NewsLocal
- Election 2016: Ten IVGID trustee candidates sound off on district issues
- Election 2016: Washoe school board Seat G candidates sound off
- Election 2016: Horan, Morris, Dent take IVGID primary; Krasner beats Guinasso
- Election 2016: 10 file for 3 IVGID seats; NV primary is June 14
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space