Drug dog sniffs out nothing during first visit to Truckee High
Ryan Summerlin May 11, 2014
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Nothing was found during the first-ever search by a police dog last week at Truckee High School, officials said.
Trax, Truckee Police Department’s narcotics detection canine, made an unannounced visit to the school on Thursday, May 8.
“Our objectives are maintaining a safe community and preventing our youth from alcohol and drug abuse,” TPD Chief Adam McGill said in a statement. “Trax is one of the many tools we’re using to accomplish those objectives.”
The 2-year-old black lab joined the force last November, working with his handler, Officer Andrew Holbrook. The dog is trained to detect heroin, cocaine, marijuana, methamphetamine and ecstasy.
“Our goal is not to catch kids, but to help our students make smart and healthy choices.”
Since November, Trax and Holbrook have assisted in 15 drug arrests, resulting in the seizure of 220 pounds of marijuana, 9 pounds of methamphetamine, 500 prescription pills, 4 firearms and nearly $75,000 in suspected drug money, according to TPD.
In terms of local schools, the dog mostly served as an ambassador by assisting in drug education up until last Thursday’s visit to Truckee High.
The visit was part of a partnership between law enforcement and the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District to ensure students are in compliance with school rules about illegal substances.
“I am very pleased with this first official unannounced visit to Truckee High School by Trax. I am very happy that nothing was found,” TTUSD Superintendent Robert Leri said in a statement. “Our goal is not to catch kids, but to help our students make smart and healthy choices.”
For years, the district, in cooperation with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office, has conducted searches at North Tahoe High, but such a search was new for Truckee High.
North Tahoe searches this year have also turned up nothing, according to both agencies.
Trending In: NewsLocal
- Uber revving up service on both sides of Lake Tahoe; not everyone on board
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Tahoe snowfall already tops all of 2014-15 winter; provides economic boost
- Election 2016: Ten IVGID trustee candidates sound off on district issues
- Election 2016: Truckee, Nevada Co. voters reject marijuana Measure W
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Amid housing crisis, North Tahoe-Truckee real estate sales thrive
- Tensions still high over Lake Tahoe bear management on Nevada side
- Opinion: Placer County shows lack of commitment to Lake Tahoe