Faith Factor | Celebrate Purim with North Tahoe Hebrew Congregation
March 13, 2014
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — North Tahoe Hebrew Congregation (NTHC) will celebrate the festival of Purim on Sunday, March 16, 4-7 p.m.
The celebration will include Purim services, a play from the Religious School, a family friendly carnival with games, crafts and a pick-a-prize raffle. There will also be a carnival-themed meal with kosher and veggie hotdogs with all the fixings and make-your-own Hamantaschen for dessert. Costumes are encouraged with everyone in costume receiving a two free raffle tickets.
The entire community is welcome to this fun, family-friendly event. Jew and non-Jews alike are welcome to attend to celebrate the traditions of Purim. Suggested contributions are $20 for the whole family or $5 per person made at the door. For questions or RSVP contact Pam at email@example.com or 650-906-4195.
WHAT IS PURIM?
Purim is a festive Jewish Holiday and a time of prizes, noisemakers, costumes and treats. Purim commemorates a major victory of the Jewish people over oppression in the ancient Persian Empire and is recounted in the story of Queen Ester. Under King Ahashuerus, Haman, the top advisor to the King, plots to exterminate all of the Jews in Persia. His plan is foiled by Queen Esther and her cousin Mordechai, who ultimately save the Jews from destruction. At Purim this story it recounted. The reading is punctuated by booing and noise-making when Haman’s name is spoken.
Purim is celebrated on the 14th and 15th days of the Jewish month of Adar. In 2014 this is 15th and 16th of March.
Key observances during Purim include listening to the story of Purim, sending food and gifts to friends, giving charity to the poor and eating a festive meal. Other customs including dressing in costume, wearing masks and eating pastries called Hamantaschen. These cookies are shaped in triangles to resemble Haman’s hat.
The NTHC Purim celebration will retell the story of Queen Ester and these traditions. All are welcome.
North Tahoe Hebrew Congregation is located at 7000 Latone Ave. in Tahoe Vista. For more information visit http://www.tahoetemple.org or call 530-546-0895.
Trending In: NewsLocal
- Election 2016: Ten IVGID trustee candidates sound off on district issues
- Election 2016: Washoe school board Seat G candidates sound off
- Election 2016: 10 file for 3 IVGID seats; NV primary is June 14
- Election 2016: Horan, Morris, Dent take IVGID primary; Krasner beats Guinasso
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- What Reno airport’s recent growth means for North Tahoe-Truckee