Beach to Peaks: Winter takes center stage in Tahoe City
August 22, 2013
TAHOE CITY, Calif. — The calendar might say August, but winter took center stage last Sunday at Commons Beach in Tahoe City. The third annual "Beach to Peaks' brought together more than a dozen of Lake Tahoe's alpine and cross country resorts for a "sneak peek" of the upcoming season.
Held in conjunction with a free Concert on Commons Beach by Mumbo Gumbo, an overflow crowd mingled with resort reps, enjoyed picnics on the grass and soaked up the sounds of one of the area's most popular bands.
Freestyle legend Wayne Wong, official guest of honor, was acknowledged with a proclamation from Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom. Kenny Volz, once a renowned speedskier and former groomer at Alpine Meadows, walked off with the "Passport to Peaks" grand prize — a lift ticket from every resort.
"Beach to Peaks brings together the best elements of Lake Tahoe," said organizer Bill Jensen. "Great weather, great music, great resorts, one of the greatest skiers of all time — all on the shore of the world's most beautiful lake. There's no other place in the world you could do this."
Concerts on Commons Beach continue Sundays through Sept. 8, 4-7 p.m. SambaDa will rock the lake Aug. 25, with more information available at http://www.concertsatcommonsbeach.com.
Trending In: Activities & Events
- VIDEO: Alpine coaster debuts at Tahoe’s Heavenly summer adventure park
- Carnival returning this week to Truckee; all-you-can ride tickets $20
- Explore Tahoe: Check out these 6 must-do hikes to Tahoe-area waterfalls
- Lake Tahoe celebrity golf: Who to watch (and where) this weekend
- Tahoe Magazine: Winter 2016-17 — read the digital edition here!