First of three Tahoe-Truckee Cultural Land Tours set for Friday
June 7, 2016
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Local nonprofit Trails & Vistas is taking its mission of creating community and celebrating the arts and nature to new levels this summer by collaborating with the Truckee Donner Land Trust on an innovative program of guided ecology, art, and history hikes.
Art and nature intersect with creative experiences with music, and award winning pein air artists at each of the Cultural Land Tours.
On Friday, June 10, explore Waddle Ranch Preserve in Truckee. On July 15, discover the varied landscapes of nearby Webber Lake/Lacey Meadows, and visit the 1860s Webber Lake Hotel. Finally, on August 12, visit stunning Independence Lake Preserve.
Carpool meeting time is 8:45 a.m., and each hike starts at 9:30 a.m. and finishes up by 2:30 p.m. Tours are in a small group setting of 23 hikers; tickets are $45 and available at trailsandvistas.org.
K.V. Van Lom of the Land Trust will be the tour guide for the three tours, highlighting the acquisition, ecology and fascinating history of the Land Trust's Waddle Ranch Preserve, Webber Lake/Lacey Meadows/Webber Hotel and Independence Lake Preserve.
Local artist and plein air painter Jackson Lain will join the tours, which also will feature music by Angele Thibodeau.
Recommended Stories For You
Lain was born and raised in a small community in South Central Alaska where the outdoors were an important part of his livelihood. As a result, nature, wildlife and environmental scenery have always been the center of his art exploration.
From the fishing towns and seascapes of Alaska, to the mountains of Utah and the deserts of California, Jackson looks to each region with a unique appreciation.
Thibodeau will sing along the trail as hikers explore the land around them. Angele started her musical career as a little girl singing in the back woods of Maine.
Now living in the Sierra Nevada, Angele loves to pass on her lifelong passion for music to her students at the Tahoe Truckee School of Music. Angele strongly believes in the power of music to enrich the mind, and use of music as a tool for healing.
This article was provided by Trails & Vistas, a nonprofit boasting a mission to create community by celebrating the arts in nature. Visit TrailsAndVistas.org to learn more.
Trending In: Activities & Events
- Truckee River Cohousing hosts Winter Bonfire
- ‘Fresh Tracks’ 5K Snowshoe Walk and Race coming Feb. 24
- Your Truckee Weekend — Top 10 you can’t miss: St. Patrick’s Day celebrations; photo walk
- Red, White and Tahoe Blue chairman Jim Smith resigns after 7 years
- Valentine’s Day: Checking in on the Lake Tahoe online dating scene
- UPDATE: Officials: Shooting reported in Tahoe City
- Squaw sets February snowfall record (VIDEO)
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra