Kids Adventure Games returns this weekend to Squaw Valley
June 24, 2016
OLYMPIC VALLEY, Calif. — Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows will welcome the nation's premier kids adventure race, the Kids Adventure Games, this weekend on June 24-26 — offering kids ages six to 14 the chance to experience the thrill of adventure racing.
Considered to be one of the coolest kids races in the nation, the race will feature teams of two navigating an adventure course that includes biking, trekking, rope swings, mud pits, cargo nets, a giant Slip-n-Slide, zip lines and more.
Participants will challenge themselves both physically and emotionally while feeling a huge sense of accomplishment after they complete the course.
Registration is underway at kidsadventuregames.com, and early registration is encouraged.
As part of the action, racers will also have an opportunity to participate in skills clinics the days prior to racing where they will practice and perfect skills in teamwork, biking, climbing and more.
Cost is $180 for a team of two until the race fills. Skills clinics are optional and cost $55 per participant.
Recommended Stories For You
Whereas most races allow parents to help and coach their kids, the Kids Adventure Games mandates the course as a parent-free zone, keeping them on the sidelines as cheerleaders.
According to Kids A.G. Co-Founder, international adventure racer and Race Director Billy Mattison, parents remain astounded at what their kids can accomplish.
"Adventure racing is a thrilling sport," said Mattison. "It combines physical and mental challenges, teamwork and good-natured competition — and just as importantly, it's a lot of fun. We're excited for to return to Utah where we'll watch the kids grow by challenging themselves throughout the weekend."
The race is part of an eight-race series at ski resorts across the country, which originated in Vail, Colo. six years ago. Races already have occurred at Snowshoe Mountain, W.Va., and Park City, Utah; upcoming events are set for Stowe, Vt., Vail, Colo., and one each at Mammoth Mountain and Big Bear Lake, Calif., respectively.
The Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Kids Adventure Games is presented by Toyota in partnership with Toyota, Horizon Organic, Clif Kid and GoPro. Visit squawalpine.com to learn more about Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows.
This article was provided by the Kids Adventure Games. To learn more, visit kidsadventuregames.com.
Trending In: Activities & Events
- Tahoe Top 5: Where to spend New Year’s Eve
- Red, White and Tahoe Blue chairman Jim Smith resigns after 7 years
- Tahoe Magazine: Winter 2016-17 — read the digital edition here!
- Annual Brews, Jazz and Funk Fest returns to Squaw Valley this weekend
- North Lake Tahoe Digitization Day to highlight historical photographs
- Work to be done: Nevada County economic model is unsustainable
- Truckee Town Council race too tight to call
- Churchill County defeats Truckee for 3A state championship (GALLERY)
- Council approval moves Grocery Outlet project forward in Truckee
- Truckee Town Council moves forward with McIver Dairy restoration