Lake Tahoe is site of wedding-themed adventure race Sunday (CANCELED)
Vendors and prizes
Local vendors will support the race and supply some of the essential items, including:
• Art in Bloom Floral will provide flowers for the toss and also supply prizes for the winners.
• Event Masters will pop up a tent at the finish and also give away a handful of rental gift certificates as prizes.
• Jon M Photography will be on site photographing the event, offering participants photo specials and giving top finishers great prizes.
• Homewood Mountain Resort will award first place with $1,000 off their 2016 special event site fee, and second place will win 2015-16 season passes.
• The West Shore Café will award the winners a two night stay at the inn, or $1,000 off their 2016 special event site fee, and will give away dining credits for other top place finishers.
EDITOR’S NOTE: The Sierra Sun was informed Friday, Aug. 27, that event promoters had made the decision in early August to cancel the race.
The Sun apologizes for any scheduling conflicts or inconveniences this may have caused.
HOMEWOOD, Calif. — A first-of-its-kind, wedding-themed adventure race is coming to Lake Tahoe this weekend.
The race at the West Shore Café and Inn and Homewood Mountain Resort is geared toward couples getting married or looking at getting married in the Tahoe area — teams of two will battle it out for thousands of dollars of wedding day prizes.
“It gives engaged couples the opportunity to check out our venue, meet some of the local vendors and just go out and have a good time, with a little competition thrown in,” said Katie Brauer, of Homewood. “Plus the couples will have the opportunity to win some great prizes that can ultimately put toward their big day.”
The ‘I Do’ Dash: Mountain Race will take place Sunday, Aug. 30, at 9 a.m., with registration at 8. All couples engaged or not are encouraged to enter.
Participants will start at the West Shore Café, and the first leg will be a paddleboard race through a buoy course. Both participants will need to be on the same board to complete the challenge, testing their balance and their ability to work as a team.
Couples will next complete the “wedding cake in the face” portion of the race. Each participant will have a designated line to stand on and one person will need to throw a cake at the other until they get a direct hit.
From there, the couple will run a half-mile over to Homewood Mountain Resort’s South Lodge, where the team must complete a “bouquet toss” — blindly throwing a bouquet of flowers, at a certain distance, until they complete a catch.
Finally the couple will run together, carrying the flowers from the bouquet toss, to Homewood’s wedding site, at the top of the Quail Chair. The final run will ascend roughly 900 vertical feet over two miles to the finish line.
The top three finishers will be awarded thousands of dollars of wedding day prizes from various Tahoe vendors. Participants also are encouraged to wear wedding-related costume for the opportunity to get the “best costume” prize.
Pre-race registration is $50. Couples are also able to register at 8 a.m. Sunday for $75 per pair.
The West Shore Café is located at 5160 West Lake Blvd., Homewood. Visit WestShoreCafe.com for more information.
Support Local Journalism
Your support means a better informed community.