Your Tahoe Weekend: Dog park, full moon bocce, Los Lonely Boys & more
May 19, 2016
TAHOE-TRUCKEE, Calif. — Below are the Sierra Sun's picks for the Top 10 events to check out this weekend at Truckee and Lake Tahoe.
Have an event you want considered for a future Your Tahoe Weekend calendar? Email reporter Kaleb M. Roedel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Full Moon Bocce at Truckee River Winery
Head to the Truckee River Winery on Friday night for Full Moon Bocce, an event celebrating (a day early) the next full moon of the year — the "Flower Moon," which comes Saturday, marking warmer temperatures and plants blooming — with games of bocce ball.
When: 6-8 p.m. Friday, May 20
Where: Truckee River Winery
Recommended Stories For You
Cost: $25 per person, includes one glass of wine per player, assorted desserts, appetizers, and glow items.
More info: Call 530-587-4626 to reserve a spot as space is limited to eight teams.
2. Tahoe Unleashed Dog Park open
Spend a day with your dogs at Tahoe Unleashed Dog Park in Tahoe Vista, which recently reopened for the 2016 season. The dog park currently offers two fenced-off leash areas, one for small dogs and one for large dogs so they can mix and play with other dogs of their size.
When: 7 a.m. to dusk, seven days a week except in the event of snow
Where: North Tahoe Regional Park, Tahoe Vista
3. Truckee High School spring musical
Truckee High School presents its spring musical, "The 25th annual Putnam County Spelling Bee," on Friday and Saturday. This thoroughly entertaining production will make you laugh and make you cry as a motley collection of six socially-challenged, philologically-industrious pre-teens battle it out for glory: to be sole survivor in their county spelling competition.
When: 7 p.m. Friday-Saturday, May 20-21
Where: Truckee High School
Cost: $15 adults; $10 students
More info: Call Kim Streit at 530-448-6134
4. Inspired Adventure Spring Festival 2016
Kindred Arts and Folk Institute's 4th annual Inspired Adventure Spring Festival will feature many free activities such as live music, drum circle, games, maypole dance and interactive art. There will also be a bounce house, henna tattoos, silent auction and raffle, local brews, good food, artisan vendors and more.
Where: Community Art Center, Truckee
5. 'Locals Only' show at CBC
Truckee-Tahoe area funk and soul outfits Drop Theory, Groove Foundry and Disco Terrorist will each take the stage of the Crystal Bay Casino Red Room for a free show Saturday.
When: 9 p.m. Saturday, May 21
Where: Crystal Bay Casino Red Room
6. Roy Schneider & Kim Mayfield at Cottonwood
Folk duo Roy Schneider & Kim Mayfield will bring its "blue-twangled folk and roll" to Truckee for a free show at Cottonwood Restaurant & Bar.
When: 6 p.m. Saturday, May 21
Where: Cottonwood Restrauant & Bar, Truckee
7. The Nut Boyz at Cottonwood
The Nut Boyz — who showcase groovy guitar work and jazzy, Brazilian influences — will perform a free show at Cottonwood Restaurant & Bar on Friday.
When: 6 p.m. Friday, May 20
Where: Cottonwood Restrauant & Bar, Truckee
8. Los Lonely Boys at Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Los Lonely Boys will brings its "Texican Rock n' Roll" sound — an infusion of rock and roll, Texas blues, soul, country and Tejano — to the South Shore for a show at Harrah's Lake Tahoe.
When: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, May 21
Where: Harrah's Lake Tahoe, Stateline
9. Greg Golden Band at Hard Rock Lake Tahoe
The Greg Golden Band, a five-piece classic rock band, will bring their set list of originals and cover songs — including ZZ Top, Rolling Stones, and Cream, among others — to Hard Rock Lake Tahoe on Saturday.
When: 8:30 p.m. Saturday, May 21
Where: Hard Rock Casino Lake Tahoe, Stateline
10. 'Paper Tigers' at Lake Tahoe Community College
In recognition of Mental Health Awareness Month in May 2016, El Dorado County Mental Health in South Lake Tahoe is teaming up with local organizations to offer a free community showing of the film "Paper Tigers." The film is appropriate for older teens, parents, school staff, community members, and anyone who interacts with adolescents and young adults.
When: 7 p.m. Friday, May 20
Where: Lake Tahoe Community College, South Lake Tahoe
More info: Call 530-573-7970
Trending In: Activities & Events
- Tahoe Top 5: Where to spend New Year’s Eve
- Truckee Weekend: 10 things you can’t miss — Music at Moody’s; Crab and pasta feed
- 10th anniversary of Red, White and Tahoe Blue delights visitors and locals
- Annual Brews, Jazz and Funk Fest returns to Squaw Valley this weekend
- Explore Tahoe: Five planets align for Sierra Nevada stargazers
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- Now boarding: 5 candidates vie for Truckee Tahoe Airport Board (VIDEO)