Your Tahoe Weekend: Golf For Kids, Los Lobos, Best of Tahoe Chefs & more
May 19, 2016
TAHOE-TRUCKEE, Calif. — Below are the Sierra Sun's picks for the Top 10 events to check out this weekend at Truckee and Lake Tahoe.
Have an event you want considered for a future Your Tahoe Weekend calendar? Email reporter Kaleb M. Roedel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Best of Tahoe Chefs
The 17th annual Best of Tahoe Chefs food and wine fundraiser will be held Sunday at The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe. Truckee-Tahoe's best local chefs donate their time and talent to make the evening extraordinary with fabulous culinary creations, and also offer amazing dining packages for the event's auction. All proceeds benefit Patient and Family Programs at the Gene Upshaw Memorial Tahoe Forest Cancer Center.
When: 4:30 p.m. Sunday, May 15
Where: The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Recommended Stories For You
2. The Magic Beans at Crystal Bay Casino
The Magic Beans, a Denver-based alternative rock group, will bring its blend of Americana, funk, rock and electronica to the North Shore for a free show inside the Crystal Bay Casino Red Room.
When: 10 p.m. Friday, May 13
Where: Crystal Bay Casino Red Room
3. An Evening to Benefit Paul Covarelli
Tahoe/Truckee guitar icon Paul Covarelli is battling cancer and currently undergoing chemotherapy. This evening of music, food and drink will serve as a fundraiser to help his expenses. Cottonwood will be offering happy our prices for the entire event.
When: 6-10 p.m. Sunday, May 15
Where: Cottonwood Restaurant & Bar, Truckee
Cost: Free to attend, but donations encouraged
4. Radio Active at Moody's
Hip-hop artist Radio Active — an emcee, beatboxer and multi-instrumentalist — will bring his fresh, soulful sound to downtown Truckee for back-to-back free shows at Moody's Bistro, Bar & Beats.
When: 8:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, May 20-21
Where: Moody's Bistro, Bar & Beats, Truckee
5. Trails & Vistas Meditation and Art Hike
A day of nature and creative expression in the beautiful forests and meadows of the Sierra will take place Saturday in an event called "Entering The Wild Imagination: An Immersion in Art, Nature, and Creativity." The event will blur the lines between the world's imagination and the human imagination through guided walking meditation, solo wanderings, and journaling.
When: 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, May 14
Where: Sagehen Creek Field Station, north of Truckee
6. Golf For Kids Day at Old Brockway
Benefitting the Boys & Girls Club of North Lake Tahoe, Golf For Kids Day will take place Sunday at Old Brockway Golf Course in Kings Beach. The event will include prizes, giveaways, and, above all, fun. Half of green fees go to BGC-NLT. A scramble at 1 p.m. is available to enter for $10 more.
When: All day Sunday, May 15
Where: Old Brockway Golf Course, Kings Beach
Cost: Green fees vary
7. The Last Revel at CBC
The Last Revel, a three-piece outfit from Minnesota using folk-minded three-part harmonies, will bring its rebellious rock attitude and raw traditional instrumentation to the CBC for a free show Saturday.
When: 10 p.m. Saturday, May 14
Where: Crystal Bay Casino Red Room
8. Los Lobos at Harrah's
Los Lobos, a multiple Grammy Award-winning American rock band from East Los Angeles that has been performing since the early 1970s, will play on the South Shore at Harrah's Lake Tahoe. Influenced by rock, Tex-Mex, country and blues, Los Lobos gained international stardom in 1987 when their cover version of "La Bamba" topped the charts in the U.S., the UK and several other countries.
When: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, May 14
Where: Harrah's Lake Tahoe, Stateline
9. Dat Phan at The Improv at Harvey's
Comedian Dat Phan, who won the first season of NBC's Last Comic Standing and has appeared in numerous Hollywood films, will perform stand-up all weekend on the South Shore.
When: 9 p.m. Friday-Sunday, May 13-15
Where: The Improv at Harvey's, Lake Tahoe
Cost: $25 Friday, Sunday; $30 Saturday
10. The Garage Boys at Hard Rock
The Garage Boys, a wide-ranging cover band that plays everything from Queen to Kings of Leon to Green Day, will bring their technical skills and extensive experience to Hard Rock Lake Tahoe for a free show on Saturday.
When: 9 p.m. Saturday, May 14
Where: Hard Rock Lake Tahoe
Trending In: Activities & Events
- Tahoe Top 5: Where to spend New Year’s Eve
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Lake Tahoe embraces the spirit of Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- The last event of its kind, the Reno National Championship Air Races, returns with more jaw-dropping races on Sept. 13-17
- Truckee Weekend: 10 things you can’t miss — Music at Moody’s; Crab and pasta feed
- 10th anniversary of Red, White and Tahoe Blue delights visitors and locals
- Two arrested at Truckee Rite Aid on burglary, drug charges
- Pair face drug, vehicle registration charges in Truckee after agreeing to search
- MEET THE CANDIDATES: Placer County Office of Education Board of Trustees
- William Mardison: Police officers’ association announces Truckee council endorsements
- Truckee Town Council candidates talk affordable housing, General Plan (VIDEO)