Closer to the Heart exhibit to be on display at Truckee-Tahoe
October 23, 2014
This month, Tahoe SAFE Alliance hosted two groups of volunteers from Torchmark Corporation's affiliates — American Income Life Insurance and Liberty National Life Insurance Companies — and it's Closer to the Heart Project.
In 2012, Torchmark, A Fortune 1000 company with headquarters in McKinney, Texas, launched Closer to the Heart, a long-term project which makes financial and hands-on service contributions to the communities they visit for meetings and conferences.
Tahoe SAFE Alliance is honored to be a recipient of a service project and donation from Closer to the Heart this year.
We are thankful for Torchmark and their affiliate's generosity with their time, energy, and financial support.
October is an especially relevant month to host Closer to the Heart groups because it is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Both groups contributed to a visual life-size display bringing awareness about the effects of domestic violence on children. Each year, more than 3 million children are exposed to violence in their homes. If not given help, those children have a higher risk of being victimized or victimizing someone as an adult.
It is hoped this interactive display will educate the public that violence in the home has major long term consequences for children, but there is hope and help available through Tahoe SAFE Alliance.
Recommended Stories For You
The display has been in different locations around North Lake Tahoe and Truckee this month. You can view it from Oct 27-Nov 3 at Tahoe Forest Hospital, and on Nov. 8 at the Tahoe Chocolate & Wine Festival at the Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe.
This article was submitted to the Sun by Tahoe SAFE Alliance, a nonprofit organization established in 1985 to reduce the incidence and trauma of intimate partner/domestic violence, sexual assault, and child abuse in North Lake Tahoe and Truckee. Visit tahoesafealliance.org or call 775-298-0010 to learn more.
Trending In: Health & Wellness
- The silent killer hits home: Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning
- Clove, ginger, cinnamon among essential oils for the fall season
- High-altitude gardening in Lake Tahoe
- RX drug round up set for April 30 in Incline Village
- Tahoe Forest appoints CEO to 3-year contract, base salary of $350K (updated)
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- French Meadows Restoration Project reaches final approval
- ‘A TOTAL DIFFERENT LIFETIME’: All-female grunge group ready to rock Art Truckee (VIDEO)
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City
- Last of Tahoe’s downhill resorts set to open this week