Do your last-minute shopping at North Tahoe hospital gift shop
December 23, 2015
Did you know the North Lake Tahoe Community Health Care Auxiliary runs a well-stocked gift shop on the hospital grounds?
"We've been running this shop for more than two decades," explains Jan Horan, a volunteer with the nonprofit organization who chairs this valuable asset, "but the community really doesn't know about it, except through word-of-mouth or if they happen to come into the hospital."
The shop is open to the public Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and is staffed by volunteers.
The shop boasts items ranging from candles to cards, slippers to socks, hats, scarves, tote bags, puzzles, stuffed toys and much more, all priced to be competitive with other general retailers.
Money spent there helps fund the organization's mission, which is dedicated to supporting the Incline Village Community Hospital by purchasing needed equipment and awarding scholarships to graduating Incline High School seniors who plan to attend higher educational facilities in medically related fields.
Along with the year-round Hospital Gift Shop, health care auxiliary fundraisers include the Classy Garage Sale in June, an old-fashioned Lobster Feed in July and a Golf Tournament in September.
Recommended Stories For You
"This past year, we awarded $4,000 to graduating seniors, as well as $7,000 in continuing scholarships to previous recipients," explains President Nan Healy. "In addition, a nursing student at Orvis School of Nursing at UNR received a $2,000 scholarship. It happens that she is the granddaughter of a past Auxiliary member."
Recent donations include a $22,000 top-of-the-line treadmill set-up to Incline Village Community Hospital, as well as a $50,000 donation that went to the IVCH Foundation for equipment needed during the second floor remodel. This year, the Auxiliary was also able to contribute to the Washoe County Sheriff's Office boat Marine 9.
Since 1994, the Auxiliary has donated a total of $459,000 to the hospital and $217,000 toward scholarships.
This article was submitted on behalf of the North Lake Tahoe Community Health Care Auxiliary, which meets every other month on the second Monday, starting in February. For information, contact Healy at 775-832-0939 or by email at Nanhealy@gmail.com.
Trending In: Health & Wellness
- The silent killer hits home: Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning
- High-altitude gardening in Lake Tahoe
- Compulsive hoarding: profiling personality traits – Got Anxiety?
- Exercising in 7-inch heels
- Gene Upshaw Memorial Tahoe Forest Cancer Center welcomes new physician
- Tahoe Mountain Club set to close in February
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- Vail Resorts gives $1.9M to Truckee, South Lake Tahoe nonprofits
- Sierra cinema: Tahoe-Truckee has been the setting for 100 years of feature film
- John Ward: Airport Board member Lisa Wallace’s apology falls short