Free Vial of Life distribution set for Tuesday
November 12, 2014
Incline Village Community Hospital and North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District will be distributing free Vials of Life and offering a free workshop to educate the community about Advance Directives and the Nevada POLST (Physician Order for Life Sustaining Treatment).
The event takes place Tuesday, Nov. 18, from noon to 3 p.m.
The Vial of Life works like this: When paramedics arrive at your home, a decal placed in a front window alerts them that you have a Vial of Life, containing your medical information, stored in your in your freezer. The information might include a list of medications, medical conditions, concerns and chronic illnesses, Advance Directives, a DNR, and a Nevada POLST.
An Advance Directive is a legal document in which individuals specify what actions should be taken for their medical care if they are no longer able to make decisions for themselves because of illness or incapacity. The POLST form helps medical staff respect patients' wishes in their final days.
The program will begin with a free food demonstration by Kelly Brennan, RD, with ICVH PT and Medical Fitness, followed by the workshop, led by Sally Hardwick of Nevada POLST, a Nevada 501(c)3 nonprofit. Distribution of Vials of Life by Incline High School National Honor Society students will follow.
Space is limited. For information, or to make your required reservation, contact IVCH Community Outreach Coordinator Shelia Leijon at 775-888-4262.
Trending In: Health & Wellness
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- Truckee receives Caltrans award for Mousehole project
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Resort celebrates season opener with new triple chairlift (VIDEO)