‘Getting Ahead’ program, focusing on poverty, coming to Kings Beach
February 15, 2016
KINGS BEACH, Calif. — The Food Bank of Northern Nevada and the North Tahoe Family Resource Center are pleased to offer Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin'-by-World beginning Wednesday, March 2.
Getting Ahead, a cornerstone in the Bridges to a Thriving Nevada initiative of the Food Bank of Northern Nevada, is a multi-week program in which facilitators and participants learn together in an agenda-free environment where all voices are heard and respected.
Getting Ahead is a unique program offered nationwide in hundreds of sites in partnership with a variety of businesses and agencies to help people in poverty, near poverty or instability stabilize their situations and build their resources to improve their lives.
Getting Ahead maintains two story lines, the personal and the communal, and uses the lens of economic class to investigate both. Poverty is never just about the individual; it occurs in communities that have varying resources, opportunities, support and leadership.
With this in mind, participants make a self-assessment of their resources and an assessment of their community before building plans for both.
Key concepts in Getting Ahead are sequenced through ten modules and participants learn through both content and discussions. The more diverse the voices at the table the richer the dialogue.
Recommended Stories For You
Because Getting Ahead recognizes participants as investigators in the causes and solutions of poverty, participants are offered a stipend for their time and efforts. Participants will earn $10/hour for taking part in the workshop.
Classes will be held twice a week at the North Tahoe Family Resource Center, 265 Bear St., in Kings Beach. Anyone who would benefit from an opportunity to collaboratively build better financial, personal and social resources is warmly invited to join.
For sign-up information, contact the North Tahoe Family Resource Center at 530-546-0952. For program information or to bring a Getting Ahead in a Just-Getting'-by-World' to your business, faith-based organization or nonprofit agency, contact Stacey Wittek, Getting Ahead Program Coordinator at the Food Bank of Northern Nevada, at 775-331-3663 ext. 116.
This article was submitted by the North Tahoe Family Resource Center. Visit northtahoefrc.org to learn more.
Trending In: Health & Wellness
- Dealing with doubt: North Tahoe psychologist’s clinic focuses on anxiety, OCD, other phobia-related disorders
- Clove, ginger, cinnamon among essential oils for the fall season
- Disabled Sports USA Far West expands to Northstar California
- Got Anxiety? Understanding core beliefs associated with anxiety
- Is there a panic-prone personality type? Got Anxiety?
- Storms return to Truckee-Tahoe this week
- Future of Gray’s Crossing development up in limbo
- Man killed walking into oncoming traffic on Interstate 80
- Truckee-based FiftyFifty to open 9,000 sq. ft. brewery in Reno Public Market in 2020
- Open season (even longer): Lake Tahoe resorts extend operations following record February snowfall