Holiday health: Soothing tension in the hips, thighs a good start
November 24, 2015
TAHOE VISTA, Calif. — The area surrounding the hips and thighs is quite powerful and very in tune with the root chakra. When we feel grounded in our life and supported, we tend to have good flexibility in this area with healthy joint mobility.
However, in times of financial distress or emotional turmoil, we will typically feel tension and a sense of immobility in our hips. For instance, after a woman experiences a traumatic experience in childbirth, her hips are usually quite sore and stiff for many weeks if not months to follow.
When someone has a strong support system throughout something as intense and at times scary as childbirth, the body tends to heal up quite quickly.
The hips are where we process many of our burdens in life, especially those related to money. When we struggle to get by financially, there is often times more pain associated with the right side rather than the left.
When the issue of distress is more emotionally based we will probably feel the pain or tension in our left hip. Being able to perform regular self-care exercises involving not only stretching but also strengthening the hips is very important.
Think of hip openers in yoga and exercises like skiing or biking for maintaining healthy hips and thighs. Massage therapy can be invaluable when it comes to relaxing and relieving tension in the hips.
Recommended Stories For You
Ashiatsu is a beautifully deep form of massage that allows the therapist to position the client on his or her side therefore creating a deep connection with the muscles surrounding the hip.
Prenatal massage prepares the body for birth and encourages the release of tension from the hips so that we are able to let go when it is time. The application of essential oils like Vetiver can encourage balance in the hips and remind our body that we are safe and supported.
Ask your massage therapist about aromatherapy next time you're in the spa for a luxurious boost in your treatment.
Let's all try and be a support system for one another this holiday season; we all have the ability to lend a helping hand to those in need. Remember to take care of yourself and you will be better able to take care of others.
Sarah McCallum is a massage therapist at North Lake Massage & Skin Care in Tahoe Vista. Visit northlakemassageandskincare.com to learn more.
Trending In: Health & Wellness
- Tahoe Forest Hospital District welcomes new otolaryngology doctor
- Is there a panic-prone personality type? Got Anxiety?
- Longtime Tahoe family doctor closing private practice to work out of Reno
- High-altitude gardening in Lake Tahoe
- When panic attacks: differences between true, false alarms | Got Anxiety?
- Investigation continues on man found on Truckee railroad tracks
- Man with knife apprehended in possible Truckee stabbing
- Truckee Traffic Report: Route 89 one-way operation; Westbound I-80 lane closure
- Tahoe Housing Trouble Part 3: Local entities aim to crack Tahoe’s housing crunch
- Wolverines make statement with win over Fernley