North Tahoe Chamber volunteers assist Project MANA
July 7, 2015
The North Lake Tahoe Chamber staff volunteered with Project MANA to help load the nonprofit's mobile pantry food truck for its weekly food distribution on Monday, June 22, in Tahoe City.
Project MANA relies on support from the community to help collect food to support its mission.
Healthy food donations of any quantity are welcome any time and can be dropped off at the office in Incline Village at 948 Incline Way, or at any one of their distributions Monday-Thursday afternoons in Incline, Kings Beach, Tahoe City and Truckee.
"Canned fruit, proteins like peanut butter and canned tuna fish and vegetables are at the top of the priority list," said Brian Hunt, Food Supply Manager.
Recent food drives also were held at Chamber business locations at SaveMart in Tahoe City and all Plumas Bank branches.
Tahoe Central Market & Deli plays a role in providing fresh produce to Project MANA through a local donor, and local grocery stores also donate items that cannot be sold.
Recommended Stories For You
The organization is always looking for volunteers to help with weekly tasks of sorting, loading the food truck, and assisting with distribution. The greatest need is on Tuesdays from 12-1:30 p.m. at the office in Incline Village.
Project MANA's mission is to reduce the incidence of hunger and its detrimental effects upon individuals, families, the community and the region.
In joining forces with Northstar California, Project MANA will host the inaugural Mountain Kids Cook-Off competition on Sunday, Aug. 16, at the Northstar Zephyr Lodge.
Kids ages 8-12 are invited to submit a video telling why they should be one of the lucky teams selected to battle it out at the Mountain Kids Cook-Off. Tickets are $20 per adult and $10 per child; all proceeds will go directly to Project MANA.
To learn more about the event, or how you can help Project MANA, visit projectmana.org or call 775-298-0008.
Ginger Karl is Membership Manager of the North Lake Tahoe Chamber. Visit GoTahoeNorth.com or call 530-581-8764 to learn more.
Trending In: Health & Wellness
- The silent killer hits home: Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning
- High-altitude gardening in Lake Tahoe
- Compulsive hoarding: profiling personality traits – Got Anxiety?
- Exercising in 7-inch heels
- First Tahoe area skier-caused avalanche reported near Kirkwood
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases
- John Ward: Airport Board member Lisa Wallace’s apology falls short
- Truckee, North Tahoe skiers dominate first race of high school season
- Tahoe City moving forward with affordable housing project
- Sierra cinema: Tahoe-Truckee has been the setting for 100 years of feature film