Power up your mind in Truckee
July 23, 2013
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — Actually the headline is a bit of an understatement. Rather, Google can be viewed as a "wanna be virtual mind."
This is no criticism of Google. I find it's efficient delivery of information to my fingertips quite extraordinary. But, it's efficient delivery of information to my fingertips pales in comparison to the extraordinary feats performed by/in your mind every day.
For all the neuroscience we've learned in recent decades, words still fail to capture what we are talking about. We hear folks say, "mind" or "memory" or "consciousness" and we struggle to understand just what we mean by these words.
Let me simplify what I mean. Just as programmers have been busy writing code to capture, classify and code all information uploaded to Google, so has your brain been busy capturing, classifying and coding all information received from a bit before your birth! Wow! That's a lot of information.
Yes, it is. And what do the IT (information technology) folks tell us? Our system uses keywords too. Sigmund Freud called keywords "associations." I can say to you, "high school" and voila! A lot of bundled information jumps to the foreground of your mind.
Think, just for a moment, of the amount of information your mind system has already processed. Think, just for a moment, of the amount of information your mind system is managing as we speak! Sights, sounds, smells, taste and touches all bring information into the system and require management.
Recommended Stories For You
Your "Phenomenal Mind" is always working to assist you with the navigation of your life.
Think of it as a tool at your disposal or better yet, as your new best friend. We may soon have quantum computers also capable of processing multiple streams of information backwards and forwards in time. But, those quantum computers will still not come close to what your brain-mind system accomplishes every day.
If you are now in awe of Your Phenomenal Mind, I have achieved my goal. By the way, hang on to that feeling of awe. The chemicals that accompany the feeling will heal much that ails you.
I will teach 'Power Up Your Mind' at For Goodness Sake, 10157 Donner Pass Road, Truckee, Aug. 2, 6:30-8:30 p.m. and Aug. 3, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Call 530-550-8981 to reserve.
Trending In: Health & Wellness
- High-altitude gardening in Lake Tahoe
- Disabled Sports USA Far West expands to Northstar California
- Longtime Tahoe family doctor closing private practice to work out of Reno
- Compulsive hoarding: profiling personality traits – Got Anxiety?
- Got Anxiety? Therapeutic metaphors: ‘Drowning in a sea of anxiety’
- Open season (even longer): Lake Tahoe resorts extend operations following record February snowfall
- Man killed walking into oncoming traffic on Interstate 80
- Future of Gray’s Crossing development up in limbo
- Northstar California General Manager Nadia Guerriero on the move
- Truckee police arrest woman on assault, child cruelty charges