Tahoe rotary club’s digital X-ray project completed
January 27, 2016
The Rotary Club of Tahoe Incline is pleased to announce the completion of its Global Grant to install a digital X-ray system at Kagondo St. Joseph Hospital in northwest Tanzania.
The $42,000 project was co-sponsored by the Rotary Clubs of Solvang, Calif., Santa Ynez, Calif., and Anthem, Ariz., and several individual members of our Rotary club.
Digital X-ray has become the world standard for imaging even in developing nations because there are no chemicals or film to be disposed of, or an expensive developing system to be maintained.
The initial expense is significant, but the costs are quickly offset by the inexpensive system that uses computerized images.
St. Joseph Hospital has three remote viewing stations, one of which is connected to a TV set in their conference room.
St. Joseph Hospital is located in the Kagera Provence of Tanzania near the Uganda Border. The main occupation is agricultural, but the poverty level in the area is the highest in Tanzania.
Recommended Stories For You
Malnutrition is not a problem, but there is little money left over for health care. As better roads are built with increasing traffic, the incidence of motor vehicle accidents (MVA) is rising rapidly.
In developing nations throughout the world deaths from MVA now exceed the combined death totals from malaria and tuberculosis.
St. Joseph Hospital has become the trauma center for about 1 million people who live in the area.
Wend Schaefer, M.D, is a member of the Rotary Club of Tahoe Incline. Visit tahoeinclinerotary.org to learn more.
Trending In: Health & Wellness
- Got Anxiety? Understanding core beliefs associated with anxiety
- Longtime Tahoe family doctor closing private practice to work out of Reno
- Is there a panic-prone personality type? Got Anxiety?
- The reassurance trap — careful what you ask for | Got Anxiety?
- Got Anxiety? Therapeutic metaphors: ‘Drowning in a sea of anxiety’
- Update: Truckee police actively working case involving suspect with a firearm in Glenshire area
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million