Two youth-led suicide awareness events this week at Truckee-North Tahoe
May 11, 2016
The Tahoe Truckee Suicide Prevention Coalition is partnering with local high school students to host two free youth suicide prevention events this week.
The goal is to raise awareness about youth depression, self-harm and suicide while spreading the message of hope and the power of self-love.
Truckee High SOS students will host a screening of the movie "To Write Love on Her Arms." The film is about one young woman's battle with drugs, depression and self-harm and the support she found that ultimately led to the founding of the To Write Love on Her Arms organization.
A youth panel discussion about the power of self-love will follow the screening, set for 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 11, at the Truckee Community Arts Center, located at 10046 Church St, Truckee. There will be Free dinner from 5-5:30 p.m. Parents and high school students (due to mature content) are encouraged to attend.
Then, North Tahoe High senior Jamie Dodge and the Boys and Girls Club of North Lake Tahoe will host a benefit concert to raise money for To Write Love on Her Arms and the Tahoe Truckee Suicide Prevention Coalition.
Nashville musician Armon Jay and Seattle local Lizzy Gundersen, along with local youth artists, will perform and speak about what it means to struggle with depression, self-harm and suicidal thoughts.
Recommended Stories For You
Food and merchandise will be available for purchase at the event at 6:30 p.m. Friday, May 13, at the Boys and Girls Club of North Lake Tahoe, located at 8125 Steelhead Ave, Kings Beach. Parents and youth 13 and older (due to mature content) are encouraged to attend.
For information, go to Radiate Love: A Benefit Concert on Facebook.
This article was provided by the Tahoe Truckee Suicide Prevention Coalition. Visit http://www.tahoelifeline.org to learn more.
Trending In: Health & Wellness
- High-altitude gardening in Lake Tahoe
- Longtime Tahoe family doctor closing private practice to work out of Reno
- Compulsive hoarding: profiling personality traits – Got Anxiety?
- Got Anxiety? Therapeutic metaphors: ‘Drowning in a sea of anxiety’
- Disabled Sports USA Far West expands to Northstar California
- Open season (even longer): Lake Tahoe resorts extend operations following record February snowfall
- Man killed walking into oncoming traffic on Interstate 80
- Future of Gray’s Crossing development up in limbo
- Northstar California General Manager Nadia Guerriero on the move
- Truckee police arrest woman on assault, child cruelty charges