Simone Appetit: Saint Patrick’s Day green key lime pie
March 12, 2014
Writing a column with a head cold is never a good idea. The good news, however, is you get kind of creative and it is Saint Patrick's Day, so I am thinking (barely) green.
Then comes to mind my very favorite green dessert — Key Lime Pie. This recipe has been in my family for generations and the dirty index card I am looking at right now is testament to it's popularity. Yuck. Messy cooks in my lineage. I feel better already, but will feel even better after I eat my photo.
Key Lime Pie
1 can Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
Recommended Stories For You
Prebaked graham cracker cust pie shell
1 cup whipping cream
1 tbls. rum
Mix together one can of Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and the beaten yolks of three eggs. Now fold in the well-beaten whites of the eggs. Place the mixture in your graham cracker pie shell, already baked, and cook for 10 minutes at 250 degrees.
When cool, place in refrigerator until ready to serve. When serving, top each piece of pie with slightly sweetened whipped cream to which has been added a little rum.
Simone Grandmain is an internationally published travel and food writer who currently calls Truckee-Tahoe home. She welcomes your recipes, kitchen "must-haves" and food news @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Slightly Stoopid added to 2018 Lake Tahoe Summer Concert Series
- Theory of a Deadman rocks Harrah’s Lake Tahoe
- The Roundhouse teaches locals and visitors new skills in their fully equipped makerspace located at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- V&T Railroad Polar Express takes passengers on a journey to the North Pole (video)
- Tahoe Top 5: Lake Tahoe and Reno resorts offer special Valentine’s Day menus
- Truckee Planning Commission approves proposal to build a Grocery Outlet
- California tax law woes mean Northern Nevada luxury spending is on the rise
- Interstate 80 traffic backed up for miles because of snowstorm, road conditions
- Snowstorm delivers for Truckee area ski resorts
- Truckee Planning Commission to review Grocery Outlet modification plan