Tahoe recipe: Fix-it-and-forget-it chicken ‘n dumplings
December 21, 2015
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — Cooking with a slow cooker (also known as a Crock-pot) is very easy to do, just layer your food into it, turn it on and forget it. Set up your slow cooker in the morning before heading to work, and when you come home, dinner is ready.
This week's recipe is one of my childhood favorites — "chicken 'n' dumplings." And nope that's not a typo, it's just how I pronounce it. I have many fond memories of eating this hearty soup with my family in Louisiana and am very happy to share this recipe with y'all.
What's your favorite slow cooker recipe? Let me know, and I may feature it in an upcoming column.
Chicken 'n Dumplings
Makes six servings
Recommended Stories For You
8 cups chicken broth
2 pounds of chicken breasts (boneless, skinless, whole)
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
6 celery stalks, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, diced
2 tsp. thyme
salt and pepper to taste
Place all ingredients into a 6-quart slow cooker, cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. After the cook time is up, remove the chicken from the Crock-pot and place it on a cutting board.
Use two forks to shred the chicken. Return the chicken to the pot, and taste the broth. Season with more salt and pepper as needed. Turn the slow cooker to high before making the dumplings.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
¾ cup buttermilk
Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine well to form a stiff dough. Drop ¼-cup portions into simmering soup. Partially cover the Crock-pot with the lid, and simmer for 30 minutes or until dumplings are cooked. Serve warm and enjoy!
*Pressed for time? Use refrigerated biscuit dough torn into pieces.
Chef Arica Davis is owner/operator of Yummy Fixins, Personal Chef Services and Pasta Parties. Visit http://www.yummyfixins.com, or call 530-539-4504 to book her for your next dinner party.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Wine Ink: Wine and dine at Meadowood
- Ethan Coen to introduce film in Lake Tahoe
- Best Food & Beverage – 2017 Best of North Lake Tahoe and Truckee
- The Lone Eagle Grille at The Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe will serve up a holiday feast on Christmas day
- 26th annual Donner Party Hike: Spectacular Sierra Nevada scenery combined with fascinating history
- New Community Park Planned for Downtown Truckee
- Tahoe Fit, new fitness studio, to open in Tahoe City
- Tahoe ski patrollers rally support for Amy Holland, a ‘powerhouse with the fiercest determination’ diagnosed with brain cancer
- Tahoe local to showcase talents on TV’s The Great American Baking Show
- North Tahoe’s Mercogliano finishes prolific career as league MVP