Golf, Ancient Chinese Performance Art & Homemade Mozzarella
May 19, 2017
TOP 10 EVENTS YOU CAN'T MISS
Below are the Sierra Sun's picks for the Top 10 events to check out this weekend at Truckee and Lake Tahoe.
Have an event you want considered for a future Your Tahoe Weekend calendar? Email Reporter Cassandra Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Incline Village Golf Course Opens
The Championship Course is scheduled to open the back nine holes on Friday, May 19, with the entire course opening on Friday, May 26, conditions permitting.
When: Friday, May 19
Recommended Stories For You
Where: Incline Village Golf Course
Cost: Lessons/Tee time costs vary
2. Restorative Arts and Yoga (RAY) Festival
Participate in Tahoe City's first annual RAY Festival featuring Tahoe's finest healing professionals hosting workshops, guided meditation, hikes and outdoor activities.
When: Friday, May 19 – Sunday, May 21
Where: Granlibakken Resort
Cost: Weekend fee: $240, $78 per night double-occupancy; $156 per night single-occupancy
3. Arts for the Schools GuGu Drum Group
See a beautiful performance from Shanghai featuring the GuGu Drum Group sharing ancient Chinese stories through dance.
When: Friday, May 19 | 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Where: North Lake Tahoe High School
Cost: VIP: $25-$30, Seniors: $15-$20, Children: $5, Family of 4: $45
4. 6th Annual Kindred Art and Folk Institute Inspired Spring Festival
Celebrate art, nature and music while raising money for at-risk youth scholarships, public art and art education programs.
When: Saturday, May 20 | 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Where: Truckee Community Art Center
Cost: Suggested donation: $10-$15 per family
Online: Contact email@example.com for more.
5. Free Hoka Shoe Demo Day
Test Hoka trail shoes for hiking, running and outdoor needs at Alpenglow Sports in Tahoe City.
When: Saturday, May 20 | 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Where: Alpenglow Sports
Cost: Free demo
6. The Power of Words with Deedee Boies
Register by calling 530-550-8981 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to explore how words are an expression of energy and how to choose your words.
When: Saturday, May 20 | 10 a.m. – noon
Where: For Goodness Sake
7. Jake's on the Lake Grand Reopening
Welcome Jake's back for the summer and see the newly remodeled restaurant as Ike & Martin play from 1-4 p.m.
When: Sunday, May 21 | 11:30 a.m.
Where: Jake's on the Lake
Cost: Free entertainment
8. Cheese Making Workshop
Learn from Restaurant Trokay owner Nyna Weatherson, a former head cheesemonger at Murray's cheese shop in Greenwich Village. Make your own mozzarella and receive 10 percent off your meal if you stay for dinner.
When: Sunday, May 21 | Noon – 1:30 p.m.
Where: Atelier Truckee
9. 2017 Truckee High Fashion Show
Join in on the fun as Truckee High students raise money for their initiative, Project Sober Graduation. Seniors will model the latest fashions from local stores, as guests participate in a silent auction and raffle for prizes.
When: Sunday, May 21 | Doors: 5 p.m., Show: 6 p.m.
Where: Truckee Community Recreation Center
Cost: $35 reserved seating, $20 adults, $5 students
Online: Email Truckeehighboosters@yahoo.com for more.
10. Dead Seagulls & Kilroy Vintage Jewelry
Head to Dark Horse for live music from local band the Dead Seagulls, as well as an in-house jewelry demonstration with Kilroy Vintage.
When: Sunday, May 21 | all day; music at 6p.m.
Where: Dark Horse Coffee Roasters
Cost: Free entertainment
Cassandra Walker is a features and entertainment reporter for the Sierra Sun. She can be reached at email@example.com, 530-550-2654 or @snow1cass.
Trending In: The Arts
- What to know about acclimating to Lake Tahoe’s higher elevations
- What’s the dominant pine tree at Lake Tahoe? You might be surprised
- Love in the air: Lake Tahoe bird breeding season already upon us
- Date night: Romantic hot spots around Lake Tahoe-Truckee
- Multi-talented Americana-style troubadour from Portland, John Craigie, was discovered by Jack Johnson and on tour with him six months later
- UPDATE: Officials: Shooting reported in Tahoe City
- Storms continue to sweep through the Sierra, piling up snow in Truckee-Tahoe
- Storm update: I-80 reopened after more than 3 feet falls in Sierra
- Squaw Valley couple launches YouTube channel featuring athletic exploits
- Squaw sets February snowfall record (VIDEO)