Lake Tahoe recipe: Chilled corn soup a simple summer treat
August 18, 2016
I've really been enjoying corn dishes made with the abundant summer harvest. You may recall another recent recipe, balsamic grilled steak, also called for corn.
While there is nothing quite like sweet yellow corn grilled and topped with butter, salt and pepper, if you step outside the box this recipe will treat you to a new way to enjoy this summer staple.
You may think a chilled soup sounds strange, but I think you'll find it refreshing on a hot day, quite tasty and oh so simple to make.
If you like corn, you'll enjoy this treat. It goes great as a side dish with grilled fish and roasted vegetables.
CHILLED CORN SOUP
Makes 2-4 servings
Recommended Stories For You
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, diced
4 cups of yellow sweet corn
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
Heat butter in a pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and corn; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until corn is starting to soften and onions are translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooked corn mixture for garnish.
Add broth and bring corn mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes or until corn is very soft. Working in batches, purée corn mixture in a blender until smooth (or use an immersion blender in the pot). I like to leave my soup a little chunky, but it's totally up to you.
For a smoother consistency strain the mixture through a sieve before serving. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until cold, about 1 hour. Garnish with corn kernels, cracked pepper and chives.
Chef Arica Davis is owner/operator of Yummy Fixins, Personal Chef Services and Pasta Parties. Visit http://www.yummyfixins.com to book your next dinner party.
Trending In: The Arts
- What to know about acclimating to Lake Tahoe’s higher elevations
- What’s the dominant pine tree at Lake Tahoe? You might be surprised
- Date night: Romantic hot spots around Lake Tahoe-Truckee
- Girl Scout Cookies in the Reno-Tahoe area are getting a healthy makeover
- Tahoe health seekers: The history behind region’s oldest hot springs resorts
- Update: Truckee police actively working case involving suspect with a firearm in Glenshire area
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million