Tahoe City gears for 152nd birthday party
July 28, 2015
According to public records, the place now recognized as Tahoe City was surveyed and recorded by W. Taft on Aug. 8, 1863. During Tahoe City's 150th birthday celebration in 2013, Aug. 8 was declared "Tahoe City Day."
To celebrate Tahoe City's 152nd birthday on Saturday, Aug. 8, several events will occur, including a historical walking tour of Tahoe City, a parade or "procession" along the Lakeside Bike Trail and a birthday party at the Tahoe City Golf Course.
Karen Willcuts will lead the Tahoe City Historic Walking Tour beginning at 10 a.m., leaving from the Blue Agave and ending at the Gatekeepers Museum.
The tour features historical highlights throughout Tahoe City, including a famous gangster's visit to the Tahoe Inn and a look at the old Tahoe City jail. For information, contact the Gatekeepers Museum at 530-583-1762.
Thee parade will begin at 5 p.m. at the Lakeside Bike Trail connector next to the post office parking lot and ending at the Tahoe City Golf Course.
Tahoe City Day is inviting everyone in the community to participate in this fun event. Dress up in your favorite old-timey costume and skate, walk, ride your bike or your golf cart, build a push-cart float, create a drill team, form a band or be a clown.
Recommended Stories For You
Use your imagination to come up with something historic and funny. There is no fee to participate and no application form. Simply show up at 5 p.m. to process through Commons Beach, and up to the golf course.
The entire town is then invited to celebrate Tahoe City's 152nd birthday with barbecue, bar and band at the golf course. A barbecue hamburger or hot dog dinner will be available for $12, and there will be a no-host bar.
During and following dinner, until 8 p.m., party goers will be treated to great music by the Roemers, a five-piece "family band" from Lake Tahoe's West Shore.
There will be a Tahoe City Trivia Contest, bocce ball tournament, corn hole, and a putting tournament. Additionally, beginning a 3 p.m., there will be a 9-hole golf tournament with a scramble format to benefit SnowFest!.
Tahoe City Day is sponsored by Loverde Builders, The Store-Copies and More and Plumas Bank. For information, contact Ruth Schnabel at 530-583-5605 or RuthSchnabel@gmail.com. For information about the golf tournament, email email@example.com.
Trending In: The Arts
- What to know about acclimating to Lake Tahoe’s higher elevations
- What’s the dominant pine tree at Lake Tahoe? You might be surprised
- Date night: Romantic hot spots around Lake Tahoe-Truckee
- Tahoe health seekers: The history behind region’s oldest hot springs resorts
- Girl Scout Cookies in the Reno-Tahoe area are getting a healthy makeover
- Update: Truckee police actively working case involving suspect with a firearm in Glenshire area
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe