Tahoe recipe: Brussels sprout salad with lemon vinaigrette
January 7, 2016
TAHOE-TRUCKEE, Calif. — After your December sugar blow out and consequent blow up (your ski pants don't lie and, no, Gore-Tex does not shrink) it really is time to reacquaint yourself with the salad family.
I know, the weather report is asking for carbs' but when you start looking at the maternity pants they are selling at your local thrift store, it is time to put down the See's candy stragglers (you don't even like those chocolate covered cherries) and get back on track.
Honor your New Year's resolution! To ease the dietary transition, this salad is very substantial. It also makes the most out of one of our few real winter greens, that being Brussels sprouts.
The kids might not be jumping for joy over this recipe at mealtime, but there in bad moods anyway due to that back-to-school thing you call Hallelujah. Smother their serving with ranch dressing and for you, missy, it is the lemon vinaigrette.
1 lb. Brussels sprouts
Recommended Stories For You
1 cup diced celery
1/3 cup Craisins
5 slices bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled (or 3-4 tablespoons BacOs. I love them.)
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and thinly sliced
1 lemon (for juice and zest)
2 tsp. sugar
1tsp. Dijon mustard
5 tbls. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Cut off core ends of Brussels sprouts and remove any old outside leaves. Next you need to slice them very thinly or use a food processor to get the same "shredded" results. Toss Brussels sprouts with celery and Craisins. Top this with bacon crumbles, then the blue cheese and, finally, a layer of sliced hard boiled eggs.
For the dressing, first zest your lemon and squeeze out the juice. In small bowl whisk together 1 tsp. lemon zest, three tbls. lemon juice, sugar, mustard, and oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. When ready to serve, pour desired amount of dressing on salad and toss all. The eggs will crumble up and mix nicely with all.
Simone Grandmain is an internationally published travel and food writer who currently calls Truckee-Tahoe home. She welcomes your recipes, kitchen "must-haves" and food news at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: The Arts
- What to know about acclimating to Lake Tahoe’s higher elevations
- What’s the dominant pine tree at Lake Tahoe? You might be surprised
- Date night: Romantic hot spots around Lake Tahoe-Truckee
- Girl Scout Cookies in the Reno-Tahoe area are getting a healthy makeover
- Tahoe health seekers: The history behind region’s oldest hot springs resorts
- Update: Truckee police actively working case involving suspect with a firearm in Glenshire area
- Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe sells for $120 million
- Update: National Weather Service issues blizzard warning for Truckee-Tahoe area; chain controls in place on I-80
- Cessna does tail-stand at Truckee Tahoe Airport
- Weather service: ‘Life threatening’ conditions persist at Lake Tahoe