Tahoe recipe: Creamy polenta, kalamata tapenade and poached eggs
June 17, 2016
I'm always looking for an excuse to pop some bubbly and make mimosas. What better to serve with a mimosa than polenta with poached eggs?
You'll want to invite friends over to share this yummy dish. There are a couple steps to this recipe, but it is fairly simple. Serve with some fresh-cut fruit and, of course, a mimosa. Enjoy!
CREAMY POLENTA WITH KALAMATA TAPENADE
Makes 4 servings
Chunky tapenade ingredients:
1 cup pitted kalamata olives
Recommended Stories For You
1 tablespoon capers
1/4 cup roasted red bell pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil (plus more for garnish)
Pulse all ingredients until chopped, keep pulsing to your liking (I like mine on the chunky side). Set aside until the dish is ready.
Creamy polenta ingredients:
4 cups water
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 cups of medium grind cornmeal
1 cup shredded finely shredded Parmesan
Salt and pepper
Heat the water and broth in a large pot; once it is boiling slowly pour in the cornmeal. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. If you want the polenta creamier just add a little more broth. Once the polenta has absorbed all the water remove it from the heat and stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Poached egg ingredients:
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
Crack each egg into a small bowl. Fill a medium pot with water and add in the vinegar and bring the water to a simmer. When the water is simmering give it a little whirl making a gentle cyclone effect. Slowly pour in each egg, one at a time. Keep a spoon handy to keep the eggs separate. The eggs should only take about 3 minutes each. Remove the egg with a slotted spoon.
To serve: Spoon the polenta into your serving bowls, top with a poached egg then the tapenade. Drizzle a little more olive oil over the polenta. Serve warm.
Chef Arica Davis is owner/operator of Yummy Fixins, Personal Chef Services and Pasta Parties. Visit http://www.yummyfixins.com or call 530-539-4504 to book your next dinner party.
Trending In: The Arts
- What to know about acclimating to Lake Tahoe’s higher elevations
- Date night: Romantic hot spots around Lake Tahoe-Truckee
- What’s the dominant pine tree at Lake Tahoe? You might be surprised
- Finding Faux: Saving a feral cat from certain death to life at Lake Tahoe
- The magic of mushrooms at Lake Tahoe | Toree’s Stories
- Truckee Town Council race still too close to call
- Kurt Reinkens: Affordable living with Grocery Outlet unlocks affordable housing
- Police: Undercover operation breaks up Lake Tahoe drug ring
- Wolverines scuttle Pirates to reach first state title game since 2012
- Lastest election results (Nevada/Placer counties, state)